Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this case fan that stops spinning after post. it is a 3 pin case fan. so when i power on the computer, its led turns on and it spins. after the bios screen, the led stays on but the fan stops spinning.

I plugged the same fan to a different 3 pin connector and it works fine. so is there a problem with the 3 pin connector? or something is wrong with the bios?

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
The fan header may not be able to support the amps the fan is pulling.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i know how to get into the bios screen. i just dont know where to check the settings in the bios. the fan is connected to the motherboard with a 3pin connetor. the fan worked before. now it stops spinning after the post (blue led still on).

i tried it with a different 3 pin connector on the motherboard and its fine

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Look around in your BIOS for something to the effect of "Hardware Monitor" to enable the fan.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see. well like i said, i used the same fan with a different 3pin header and it works. so im guessing the fan header is the problem. so i dont think theres much i can do right?

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
The fan controller in your mb may not be feeding enough voltage to spin the fan, though there is enough to light the LED's.

What kind of fan is it? Some fans require substantial voltage to start, and if the automatic fan controller in your mb doesn't think the thing to be cooled is hot enough, it simply may not be giving the fan a high enough voltage to start.

Gigabyte boards have two fan controllers, one for the cpu and one for the chipset. With the P55 chipset and the Lynnfield cpu, the hottest part of the chipset is now on die. That means that nothing on the mb gets very hot. I have run a variety of fans on the fan header that is supposed to supply the fan that cools the chipset. I can't get any of them to run at anywhere near full speed. And . . . some won't even start.

I think by now you get the idea. See if you have an Advanced fan control in your mb software, so you can set the minimum fan speed high enough that your fan will start.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well its slientX 120mm blue led fan. i have 2 of them and the other one runs just fine. the one that was wasnt working is running fine too using another 3pin header. so im guessing its prolly the header.

1 thing to note is that i accidentally pulled it out hard once and it started not working after that. (accidentally pulled it out hard i mean the side panel of the case fell down and the fan was attached to the side panel, so it plug got pulled out when the side panel fell).

one question though, even if the 3pin head is fried/damaged, it shouldn't affect other parts of my motherboard right? so my other motherboard components are fine? i get scared when u said "fried"

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne_sony
View Post

well its slientX 120mm blue led fan. i have 2 of them and the other one runs just fine. the one that was wasnt working is running fine too using another 3pin header. so im guessing its prolly the header.

1 thing to note is that i accidentally pulled it out hard once and it started not working after that. (accidentally pulled it out hard i mean the side panel of the case fell down and the fan was attached to the side panel, so it plug got pulled out when the side panel fell).

one question though, even if the 3pin head is fried/damaged, it shouldn't affect other parts of my motherboard right? so my other motherboard components are fine? i get scared when u said "fried"

they always say fried. nothing is fried, it just does not work anymore. no it shouldnt effect anything else on your motherboard. i recommend you buy some molex adapters for your fans. 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan. that way all your fans run at full speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts