Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Just hangin' out
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a source for fan wire?

Not hookup wire, the insulation is too thick.

I need the 24AWG three conductor (black, red, yellow) wiring that nearly all 12V non-PWM fans use.

I would like to get a spool or roll of 50 feet.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts

·
Just hangin' out
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Thanks.

But, I did not see red or yellow?

Can anyone verify the fan wire is UL 1061?

I’m not sure the color matters, as long as it’s connected right.

I’m just leaning to make cables myself so I’m not sure

·
Registered
313 Posts
I’m not sure the color matters, as long as it’s connected right.

Color does not matter as long as the gauge is correct, it does help make sure you hook them up in the right places, but if your careful you can use all one color wire to wire anything up.

I’m just leaning to make cables myself so I’m not sure

That was a fun learn for me. You sleeving and building custom length harnesses for your PSU?

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Color does not matter as long as the gauge is correct, it does help make sure you hook them up in the right places, but if your careful you can use all one color wire to wire anything up.

That was a fun learn for me. You sleeving and building custom length harnesses for your PSU?
I'm going to likely start with making my own fan extension cables and then likely try the PSU depending on how well I do with the fans. Waiting for MDPC-X to have it's black Friday sale and pick up as much stuff as I can.

·
Just hangin' out
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Color does kind of matter, as I am wrapping several sets of wires in Techflex before I cut to final length and apply the terminals. I need to be sure I have the correct +12V, Gnd, and RPM wires. I could mark each conductor with tape or wire numbers or something, but I believe is easier just to have the correct colors.

Already done that, now I am making a radiator fan harness for eight fans. Radiator is external, BTW.

Also, 22AWG is just too big size to make daisy chains. 24AWG is hard enough to get a good crimp with two conductors.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,171 Posts

·
Just hangin' out
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*edit* I'm an idiot, I thought you were guessing at the gauge in the OP. never mind me

Would it be less racist if I chose only one color?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm going to likely start with making my own fan extension cables and then likely try the PSU depending on how well I do with the fans. Waiting for MDPC-X to have it's black Friday sale and pick up as much stuff as I can.

The PSU cables still make me nervous, I took my EVAGA harnesses and replicated them but only 8" long instead of the 4' ones they send with the PSU, then I can just make one-to-one extensions and I don't have a ton of wire in the case.

I've looked at MDPC-X before I really like how vibrant their colors are but I still have quite a bit Teleios sleeving on hand and no plans to redo my color scheme in the near furture.

Color does kind of matter, as I am wrapping several sets of wires in Techflex before I cut to final length and apply the terminals. I need to be sure I have the correct +12V, Gnd, and RPM wires. I could mark each conductor with tape or wire numbers or something, but I believe is easier just to have the correct colors.

Yea if your going to pre-wrap them with something I can see wanting colored wire, though strictly speaking color doesn't matter, electrical current doesn't care what color the wire is. I have marked wires before with numbers from my electricians label book (don't tell my boss) but those books can be kinda expensive, but you can find them at Lowes or Home Depot.

Also, 22AWG is just too big size to make daisy chains. 24AWG is hard enough to get a good crimp with two conductors.

I had a hard enough time with 22AWG getting a good crimp, didn't feel like buying another set of dies for my crimper that would do a smaller gauge.

·
Just hangin' out
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<SNIP>electrical current doesn't care what color the wire is.<SNIP>
Been doing electrical work going on 35 years, you do not have to tell me...

but those books can be kinda expensive
I pay about $7 for one.

I had a hard enough time with 22AWG getting a good crimp, didn't feel like buying another set of dies for my crimper that would do a smaller gauge.
I have three crimp tools, all have multiple gauge die sets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts