Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently made a post explaining my temps, and thanks to some help from people here, and the ATI Tool, I think I have a steady running card.

My X850 usually idles between 39-42C and loads anywhere from 60-70C. When I do find Max/Min core, the temp goes up as high as 77-85C. Is this normal? That still seems a little high to me for some reason, although I hear it is still quite stable. I do not currently have any case fans installed whatsoever. I have my Copper Heatsink for my CPU, PSU Fan, and GPU Fan.

I guess my main question here is; if I were to go out and buy 2 case fans, (one side, one back), how much would this effect the temperature of my GPU? I've never had a problem with temps, so I never bothered getting any fans.

I appreciate all responses on helping me in this matter

Turvz

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
All your temps would drop a bit. If you got one extra 80mm fan and put plastic studs in the screw holes, propped it up on the back of your card and let that blow, Your temps would lower even moreso. I used to have around the sametemps then I "fan-ed it up!" and 62 ish max load. Usually 42 after a long time of CS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright so it sounds like a good idea then

Also, how are those temps? Are they fairly normal or a little high?

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
A little high IMO. Load temps are usually in the 60's C on a stock HSF. Did you apply AS5? Make sure the contact is correct if you swapped your HSF. Try to get those temps down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, the manufacturers HSF is still on there. I've only had this card for a week or so.

Umm, whats AS5?

Sorry, this is the first time I've ever payed attention to my temps, and am fairly new to all of this.

·
15 Year Club
2,322 Posts
My overclocked GTO got to 69 on load with stock stuff, fan 100%.

And yes, case fans help. I'm going to have a 120mm intake (front) two 80mm exhaust (back) 80mm Intake (side) funnel from side to CPU HSF (side) and top exhaust (case mod). I don't think I'll have a temp problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I installed a 120mm on the back and got noticable cooling.. 5-7c, then 2 80mm fans on the side at the back, and everything dropped another 5c. Just remember that air must flow in too! if all your fans point out with no intake holes you might cause the inside to go stagnant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I put the back 80mm on intake, and the side one on exhaust...

That should work fairly well?

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turvz

Nope, the manufacturers HSF is still on there. I've only had this card for a week or so.

Umm, whats AS5?

Sorry, this is the first time I've ever payed attention to my temps, and am fairly new to all of this.

AS5 = Arctic Silver 5

It's thermal compound that goes between your GPU and the HSF. It's the best thing you could do to drop temps a few degrees.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a possibility of this damaging my GPU?

I know I used some coolant substance on my CPU, so is it basically the same thing?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
It might bring the temp down 5-7c. Thats just my guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts