Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running the case's three stock 140mm fans. They are connected to the CHA_1, CHA_2 and CPU_OPT headers. The case did not come with splitter cables.

I want to add two more 140s to the bottom of the case to blow cool air onto the GPU. It gets really hot where I live, 40C in the shade...

Please advise me what splitter cables I need to buy and where to connect them so that I can run the 140s in three separate groups: Two exhaust on top. Two intake underneath. One exhaust at the rear. I suppose the two top fans and the rear fan could be grouped together.

Perhaps a hub of some kind would be better. I have no idea. I don't want to fry the mobo, understandably.

My mobo is a ROG Z370F Gaming.

My i5 8600K CPU is cooled by a TT Water 3 Ultimate 360 with all three fans connected to the mobo's CPU_FAN header by the splitter that came with the radiator. Problem-free.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJedi View Post

I'm currently running the case's three stock 140mm fans. They are connected to the CHA_1, CHA_2 and CPU_OPT headers. The case did not come with splitter cables.

I want to add two more 140s to the bottom of the case to blow cool air onto the GPU. It gets really hot where I live, 40C in the shade...

Please advise me what splitter cables I need to buy and where to connect them so that I can run the 140s in three separate groups: Two exhaust on top. Two intake underneath. One exhaust at the rear. I suppose the two top fans and the rear fan could be grouped together.

Perhaps a hub of some kind would be better. I have no idea. I don't want to fry the mobo, understandably.

My mobo is a ROG Z370F Gaming.

My i5 8600K CPU is cooled by a TT Water 3 Ultimate 360 with all three fans connected to the mobo's CPU_FAN header by the splitter that came with the radiator. Problem-free.

Thanks
Why do you want bottom to top airflow? That will move heated air coming off of GPU up around CPU cooler. You might find 'Ways to Better Cooling' link in my sig of interest. 1st post is index, click on topic to see it, 5th is good place to start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The link was very informative.

I think my set-up works OK. The front-mounted 360 rad pulls cold outside air in keeping the hot 8600K cool. The bottom fans if I buy any will bring in cold outside air to assist the GPU's cooling fans. Then all the warm air in the case is exhausted out of the rear and the top.

I could replace the front rad with three 120 fans and replace the two 140 fans in the roof with a 280 radiator. Then the question is this: Should the roof-mounted rad be in intake or exhaust mode? Exhaust would suck warm case air over the radiator. Hardly efficient. Intake would suck cold outside air in over the radiator but then the mobo is trapped between warm radiator air from the top and warm GPU air from underneath. The rear fan would have to work really hard to suck all the hot air out. The three front fans would help by forcing cold outside air into the case. The two bottom fans would help keep the GPU even cooler. Yes, working out efficient air-flow is not easy.

I'm happy with the front/bottom to rear/top air flow.

What I'm looking for is a way to run the three or five 140s in my current set-up in two or three groups. Should I use splitter cables to have the two bottom fans running off one header? Should I use splitter cables to have the two top fans running off one header? Should I have the two top fans and the rear fan running off one header?

I could configure the bottom fans to run according to GPU temperature or have them running at a fixed rate. Slow and quiet but enough to force some cool air onto the GPU. I could configure the top/rear fans to run according to case temps or have them all running at a fixed rate. Just enough to vent air from the case and keep slightly positive pressure. Negative pressure is great for cooling but dust is a huge problem here, and the case is full of holes and grilles.

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:

Thanks. The link was very informative.

I think my set-up works OK. The front-mounted 360 rad pulls cold outside air in keeping the hot 8600K cool. The bottom fans if I buy any will bring in cold outside air to assist the GPU's cooling fans. Then all the warm air in the case is exhausted out of the rear and the top.

I could replace the front rad with three 120 fans and replace the two 140 fans in the roof with a 280 radiator. Then the question is this: Should the roof-mounted rad be in intake or exhaust mode? Exhaust would suck warm case air over the radiator. Hardly efficient. Intake would suck cold outside air in over the radiator but then the mobo is trapped between warm radiator air from the top and warm GPU air from underneath. The rear fan would have to work really hard to suck all the hot air out. The three front fans would help by forcing cold outside air into the case. The two bottom fans would help keep the GPU even cooler. Yes, working out efficient air-flow is not easy.

I'm happy with the front/bottom to rear/top air flow.

What I'm looking for is a way to run the three or five 140s in my current set-up in two or three groups. Should I use splitter cables to have the two bottom fans running off one header? Should I use splitter cables to have the two top fans running off one header? Should I have the two top fans and the rear fan running off one header?

I could configure the bottom fans to run according to GPU temperature or have them running at a fixed rate. Slow and quiet but enough to force some cool air onto the GPU. I could configure the top/rear fans to run according to case temps or have them all running at a fixed rate. Just enough to vent air from the case and keep slightly positive pressure. Negative pressure is great for cooling but dust is a huge problem here, and the case is full of holes and grilles.
You post up in AIR Cooling asking about fans we assume you have an AIR cooled system, not a bastardized water (I ASSume CLC) in front for CPU and AIR cooled GPU. Makes a big difference in what airflow pattern is needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I'd made that clear in my original post. I just want to know how best to connect my case fans, which I thought would best be covered in the air-cooling forum. The water-cooling forum will probably tell me to take a hike because I'm asking about case fans not radiator fans. Can you suggest which forum I should go to for case fans?

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:

I thought I'd made that clear in my original post. I just want to know how best to connect my case fans, which I thought would best be covered in the air-cooling forum. The water-cooling forum will probably tell me to take a hike because I'm asking about case fans not radiator fans. Can you suggest which forum I should go to for case fans?
No, it is better covered in water cooling. We don't use radiators here. only single or double stacked fans depending on what AIR cooler is being used. I don't use CLCs and |I doubt I ever will. I do have a Silent Loop AIO that is not a CLC, but that is a another story.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

No, it is better covered in water cooling. We don't use radiators here. only single or double stacked fans depending on what AIR cooler is being used. I don't use CLCs and |I doubt I ever will. I do have a Silent Loop AIO that is not a CLC, but that is a another story.
You're feisty today. Not saying I don't agree, but you're feisty.

What I don't agree about is having CLC issues in the water cooling forum....since it isn't really water cooling. CLC users need their own place to talk about unicorns and magic fairy dust.

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

You're feisty today. Not saying I don't agree, but you're feisty.

What I don't agree about is having CLC issues in the water cooling forum....since it isn't really water cooling. CLC users need their own place to talk about unicorns and magic fairy dust.
Well, at least water cooling forum use water / coolant .. something we don't have any use for here in AIR cooling.

While CLCs are the spawn of the devil, their ancestors are in your wet-head area rather then here with us air-heat. You have a split personity disorder and like both water and air.
biggrin.gif

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Well, at least water cooling forum use water / coolant .. something we don't have any use for here in AIR cooling.

While CLCs are the spawn of the devil, their ancestors are in your wet-head area rather then here with us air-heat. You have a split personity disorder and like both water and air.
biggrin.gif
That is because both are effective and have their places. I have no use for CLCs, since their only value seems to be creating incredibly erroneous posts in internet forums.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
687 Posts
You have 3 headers, for three groups of fans. You can either buy 2 splitter cables, run single exhaust on one header, two top on another header, and two bottom on the last header. This would give you the ability to tune each group of fans speed independently to balance airflow.

I picked up a set of Noctua splitters on Amazon, and they are good quality.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07656LXWB?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd

I also picked up a pair of 4 way splitter boards.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07546QTT5?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd
Only the "cpu" header reports rpm to the header.
I removed the power cables that go to the header, and supplied power from Molex to the board instead, so I don't have the risk of overloading the header output on the motherboard (running 7 fans off one header).

Both would do the job you are looking for, you just need to figure out placement in the case and what would work best for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I'll get the Noctua splitters. Don't think the four-way splitter is what I need. But good to know for the future.

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:

Thanks. I'll get the Noctua splitters. Don't think the four-way splitter is what I need. But good to know for the future.
Be careful that 4x fan amp load is not more then 1 amp total .. and remember most fan amp load rating is running load, not startup load. Startup load is at least twice what running load is .. and can be 4x or 5x as much.
Here is Nidec Turbo Gentle Typhoon fan data showing running load and start-up load ratings. Notice how 1450rpm GT is 0.049a running load, but 0.21a startup .. more than 4 times as much load.

Most of the time when someone has their fan header or a fan controller short out it is when they start their computer .. when the fan are drawing that 3-5 times as much power starting up.
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:

Thank you again. Nothing is as simple as it looks, it seems.
What fans are you using?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Corsair Air Series AF140L. Three for now. Two more later.

I want to replace them with RGBs, probably Cooler Master MasterFanPro 140 Air Flow because of AURA compatibility. Or I could cheap out and buy Silverstone's 140 fan grilles, which are also AURA compatible. But that's a topic for a different thread, I think.

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Using inline resistors is works well. It's what Noctua's LNA and ULNA adapters are.
thumb.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts