Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introduction:

Welcome to another Apple Case mod from me, you may have seen my recent mod (Sour Apple) but it is time for another, this time in the PowerMac G5, the predecessor to the Mac Pro. The case is a little scratched and has one slightly bent foot but overall the condition is pretty good, it is unlikely that i will do anything to the scratches as the final build will end up under a desk.

The aim of this mod is to stick to the original apple looks as closely as possible and to run OSX on it for a cheap yet decent performing hackintosh (its for my parents).

The only alteration to the exterior is going to be to cut out the original IO shield (200mmx40mm) area otherwise it will remain completely stock on the outside. On the inside I will attempt to recreate the original look and feel of the G5 with compartmentalised components and clean looks. I have given this mod the name Big Mac as that is exactly what it is
tongue.gif

The color scheme is white, grey and blue.

Enjoy!

Initial pictures:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First Update!

Have removed all of the guts from the original machine, some nice stuff for sure
frown.gif
Got onto the laser cutter and made a blanking panel for the top hard drive compartment as well as a replacement air baffle as the molds on the old one would interfere with the internals of the computer.

Rear masked up for the only alterations that will occur to the exterior:

Updating DVD drive from IDE to SATA:

Original PSU gutted and chopped up for cable management:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Second Update!

A very busy day today, i got all of the interior panels laser cut, I cut out the rear IO panel opening, I also had to cut out a portion of the "shelf" between the compartments so that the motherboard can slot behind it. Not much more to do now, just need to buy some vinyl wrap to cover the panels and I also need to make a custom wire for the front IO.

Marked up for cutting:

Midplate cut up:

First cut:

Clamped down for cutting a little excess off:

Rough cut for PSU cables to pass through:

Bottom panel:

New rear panel in place but I put it upside down
doh.gif

New DVD drive in:

More of the upside down IO shield:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Definetly subbed, I loved your Sour Apple build and can't wait to see how this one turns out! You do amazing work, the amount of planning and effort really shows through
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakz View Post

Definetly subbed, I loved your Sour Apple build and can't wait to see how this one turns out! You do amazing work, the amount of planning and effort really shows through
thumb.gif
Thank you, its looking like this will be a quick one, already have the parts and there isnt any watercooling either
frown.gif
I only really have a vague plane and split the build down into sections then sort of freestyle and often find that something doesn't fit and have to rethink the next bit, an example being the fact that I had to cut out a section in the midplate because I hadnt accounted for the full length of the motherboard.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey what ever works, I bet it'll look great none the less
thumb.gif

·
Registered
731 Posts
Subbed!

I have always loved this case and have been thinking about getting my hands on one for a future build.
After seeing your Sour Apple build I can't wait to see what you do with this one.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr3nd3l View Post

Subbed!

I have always loved this case and have been thinking about getting my hands on one for a future build.
After seeing your Sour Apple build I can't wait to see what you do with this one.
smile.gif
thanks, its not going to be anything crazy unfortunately
frown.gif

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Subbed... I can't possibly describe the depth of my jealously over your work area, tools, and talent! Gonna put my build to shame (actually it pretty much already does) but that's just fine by me, at least I can enjoy the pretty pictures.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiCiDAL View Post

Subbed... I can't possibly describe the depth of my jealously over your work area, tools, and talent! Gonna put my build to shame (actually it pretty much already does) but that's just fine by me, at least I can enjoy the pretty pictures.
thumb.gif
Thanks man, at least yours will be a better computer though
tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 89 Posts