Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first build log, and I'm still learning new things all the time, but I got my hands on a Bitfenix Survivor case in a white color (with black accents), and I'm very excited to do something with it--which I shall document here. Basically this case is rather uncommon, so perhaps someone will find these photos useful.

(mine has a red LED logo and fan instead of blue--blue was not an option).

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/survivor-white#overview

The general plan for now is to do a window mod in the left-side panel and to paint the outside of the case a vintage teal-ish blue, Vespa-inspired. The case has a lot of rounded lines, which go with that style too. The inside will likely remain white, as I like how LED lighting looks in my white BitFenix prodigy, especially on bright white components like my all-white Phanteks fan. Things might change and evolve in the process.

Current stage:

Plan:

Reverse ATX version

Here is the case as it arrived to me a couple of days ago.

Unpacked:

From the back:

Top view:

Front panel:

Internals:

^ Going to be removing all the hard drive cages to maximize airflow

Bottom:

Included 200mm fan (with red LEDs - won't be using those)

----
Yesterday, I drilled out a few rivets to take out the drive bays completely, as they do a good job of blocking airflow from the front intake fan(s). Looks like I can fit 2 140mm intake fans there instead of the default 200mm or 2 120mm fans. I actually already have 2 such fans I want to use, hence the decision:

2 Xigmatek 140mm blue LED fans - approximately placed:

That's it for now. Going out to a hardware store to get lots of supplies, including a new disk for a dremel, nuts, bolts, primer, paint color ideas.

~ Progress Log ~

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,616 Posts
Nice, I'm subbing this!
thumb.gif

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm back with lots of new supplies. Got a candidate paint, which is not quite as "dirty" vintage colored as I was hoping for, but "Vespa" enough. Everything else was too blue or far too dark. It's actually a pretty cool color in person, as it does well in a darker room.

It's more like

And what I wanted was this

Oh well, we'll see. I'm on a budget, and these cans were $3.90 a pop
smile.gif

And here's the beginning of the window cut-out:

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a very rough sketch of the case in the future just to get an idea of colors - can't decide if I should go with the lighter blue I got or look for Dupli-Color Pontiac Blue and the like. Light or dark?

The light one is more unique, I suppose, and I'll probably stick with that one, but I'll have another look tomorrow.

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is up with car supply shops! I've checked 5 different ones so far, and none carry Dupli-Color Engine paint with ceramic in "Pontiac Blue". There are other colors that I don't need, but none with that one... or at least even a sample can I could look at. Not sure I want to order on-line sight unseen, just based on tiny rectangles of color swatches.

Ordered boxes of tiny 2-56 black bolts and nuts to re-assemble the case after painting, since I'm probably going to remove all the rivets today.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I personally like the darker color.

also do you have trouble with the front staying on your survivor...I find the Stock "plugs"/"pins" I dont even know what to call them, the things that hold the front of the casing on to the metal seem really cheap and any time I move it the front almost pops off.

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hrm, no, I didn't notice that. Was actually not that easy to get the front panel off. Is your panel firmly "popped in"?

I wanted the darker color, but I can't find any locally, and I've gone to Home Depot, 2 different Auto Zones, and a bunch of other car shops and auto supplies stores. I can order on-line, but I don't like the idea of buying something without seeing the exact shade. I *think* I want Pontiac Blue by Dupli-Color, but then I've only seen colors on-line and in their catalog, never on a can cap. So seems risky. Plus still unsure if I should do this engine paint with ceramic deal or just go with regular oil-based enamel.

And don't forget all that blue colst $12
smile.gif

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Should be pretty neat when it's complete. What do you have planned for the interior? Is it getting the "Vespa" treatment as well, or have you got something else in mind?

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still deciding. Sort of "going with the flow". Aqua LEDs are very likely, perhaps a strip of orange along the bottom, but that would look better with a black interior for the hot/cold effect. I'm likely leaving the interior white, so probably just a single-tone aqua LEDs.

Now deciding between satin black, gloss black, or metallic black (Rust-Oleum's Black Night Metallic)

Someone else's photo of the metallic paint ^

·
Registered
814 Posts
The darker blue looks better imo, white leds are going to look really nice with that color. Good luck with ur project
thumb.gif

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniboi82 View Post

The darker blue looks better imo, white leds are going to look really nice with that color. Good luck with ur project
thumb.gif
Thank you
smile.gif
Not doing white LEDs though - doing blue (aqua). It looks beautiful in my Bitfenix Prodigy with white interior on that LED color setting, so I wanted to reproduce it for this case.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenEleven View Post

Thank you
smile.gif
Not doing white LEDs though - doing blue (aqua). It looks beautiful in my Bitfenix Prodigy with white interior on that LED color setting, so I wanted to reproduce it for this case.
Ok cool, haven't seen much aqua blue leds in builds. I just checked them out & yea they should look pretty sweet

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Making photos of things illuminated with LED lights is quite difficult - they usually come out with incorrect colors. I tried to take a good photo of my Prodigy with a teal-ish color setting, but none of the dozens of photos I took is correct - they are all too washed out and blue and saturated. It looks much crisper, cleaner, and sharper in person - can see all the glossy reflections on parts and such.

Here's some idea, but it's a much more clean aqua color in person (one of the two LED strips is hanging down diagonally, because I knocked it off fixing something and need to get better double-sided sticky stuff... because this one is pretty weak)

Makes white objects in the case, like the fan and interior, take on whatever color the LEDs are. That's why I love white interiors personally. The pure white Phanteks fan in the exhaust position is brilliant.

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenEleven View Post

Making photos of things illuminated with LED lights is quite difficult - they usually come out with incorrect colors. I tried to take a good photo of my Prodigy with a teal-ish color setting, but none of the dozens of photos I took is correct - they are all too washed out and blue and saturated. It looks much crisper, cleaner, and sharper in person - can see all the glossy reflections on parts and such.
Here's some idea, but it's a much more clean aqua color in person (one of the two LED strips is hanging down diagonally, because I knocked it off fixing something and need to get better double-sided sticky stuff... because this one is pretty weak)
Makes white objects in the case, like the fan and interior, take on whatever color the LEDs are. That's why I love white interiors personally. The pure white Phanteks fan in the exhaust position is brilliant.
The more I see these prodigy pics the more it makes me want to get one.... Also, I have to agree with the dark blue color...

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mostly painted now. Experimenting with the soft-touch finish parts to see if I have to sand them down completely, but so far holding up okay with Rust-Oleum primer for plastic.

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the paint is sticking to plastic quite well with Rust-Oleum primer for plastic (and the paint itself indicates that it's suitable for plastics). I tried scratching a piece with a nail and sanding lightly, and the paint is sticking--and it's only been 13 hours since I painted it (says 5-7 days to fully cure on the plastic primer bottle).

Now I need to figure out which compound to get to fill in the gaps around the BitFenix logo. I'm covering it up, smoothing it out, and putting a chrome phoenix there instead:

This is on a sample piece - not part of the case.

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got some

Sanded front panel:

A fat glob of the filler (had a whipped cream / souffle look to it and almost looked edible... if not for the terrible smell!)

Sanded down to a very smooth finish (though it doesn't look like it on the photo!

Just need to fill in a couple of tiny spots and re-sand now. Going to prime and paint this panel later tonight.

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a Cougar fan that will be the rear exhaust fan:

On top of the panel it's going to be attached to (the other side though) -- panel is going to get sanding and more paint layers tomorrow evening.

Camera flash overload!

Purdy if I may say so myself!
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 48 Posts