Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a case for my mother's computer. Her office is a nice shade of rosy lavender ("Queen's Tart" from Behr's Royal Collection). She loves color and hates black, so I decided to subtract some black from her office/bedroom and give her a case to match.

(Plus I love working with vivid colors, so it's a good excuse to abuse some spray paint!)

❀ ❀ Preview ❀❀

Here is the case I will be working on:

(Fractal Design Arc Mini)

It arrived today--looks very nice. Got some black-smoked acrylic, and a bunch of Rust-Oleum paint in French Lilac (not exactly what the newer cans look like, but the color is fairly accurate):

Going to see about doing some design on the panel with [future] window--maybe with a stencil or directly painting with some oil pants; perhaps something floral.

Anyway--going to start some dremeling tomorrow
biggrin.gif

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Getting started slowly--so busy with other things.

Disassembly in progress. Started sanding the left side panel yesterday, as the original finish is very rough. Going to drill out the bottom hard drive cage most likely.

This is what Fractal Design Arc Mini looks like without all the plastic:

Front panel:

Preparing plastic for painting:

This is the stock "mesh" dust filter, which I have mixed feelings about. Namely I don't like that it sticks out through the honeycomb grilles.

And finally, this is a nifty stock fan controller that I'll probably use (although, completely unsleeved!)

❀ ❀ ❀

Next up is measuring out the side window and cutting it out!

·
PC Evangelist
47,608 Posts
Love that case so much. I would get it if i had another PC lol.

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Love that case so much. I would get it if i had another PC lol.
It's great! I still like my white Define R4 more, but I'm a big fan of Fractal Design cases in general! They are just so well made and thought out, and their designs are beautiful. I almost went with a Core 1000 for this project, as it's smaller, but found a good deal on a display model of the Mini and couldn't say no!

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
This is looking interesting; subbing.
thumb.gif

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so just playing with Gimp brushes, a rough sketch of some sort of a flower design. I'll have to paint it on my own on the actual panel--these are just brushes made by someone else that I'm using as placeholders.

I don't know if I'll do color or just black silhouettes.

Oil painting might be bad because I probably won't be able to make the layers thin enough for the final clear coat to be smooth. I'll have to think about it.

·
PC Evangelist
47,608 Posts
Does that look pink to me?

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the exact color of my mothers office. The actual spray paint color is a bit more blue, as pictured on the can in post 1
biggrin.gif
. Also screen calibration - it's more pink from my iPad.

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
I just did a little touch up painting on the white trim in my Arc Midi. I painted it lime green. I'm thinking of pulling off the front and top mesh and painting that lime green as well. Do you think that would be too much green?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oil painting would definitely seem like a bad idea, stick with acrylics or just cut out a stencil and use spraypaint IMHO. Case looks real nice, the window turned out great!

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenEleven View Post

I think it would look cool, personally.
Yeah me too, I already started on the first coat! Last thing I will do after this is replace the stock PWR and HDD LED's with green.

Also I did my last case lighting with HitLight's LEDs, 16ft for $15 on Amazon, you just have to solder your own power source but you can chose your length.
(Sorry I'm not trying to thread jack, we just have similar cases and I like what you're doing with yours so I just wanted to throw some ideas back and forth with you)

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartar View Post

Oil painting would definitely seem like a bad idea, stick with acrylics or just cut out a stencil and use spraypaint IMHO. Case looks real nice, the window turned out great!
Thank you <3

I am using oil-based enamel for the color and the clear coat. How would using acrylic under an oil-based enamel make sense? If anything, oil pants make more sense, and I'm already used to using them. But... they do take a really long time to dry. So I'll have to rethink what I will use after all. But oil-based clear coat over acrylic would be a no in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickg1 View Post

Yeah me too, I already started on the first coat! Last thing I will do after this is replace the stock PWR and HDD LED's with green.

Also I did my last case lighting with HitLight's LEDs, 16ft for $15 on Amazon, you just have to solder your own power source but you can chose your length.
(Sorry I'm not trying to thread jack, we just have similar cases and I like what you're doing with yours so I just wanted to throw some ideas back and forth with you)
No worries! I'm going to have bluish-purple LED fans and purple LED strips. Probably not going to plug the power button LED at all, as it's blue, and there's going to be enough glow to tell that the computer is on
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 52 Posts