Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make a list of things that a case modder should have. Its my first guide so bear with me.

First the main thing you need is the Dremel.

The dremel is a very useful tool, for those of you who dont know what it is, it is a tool used for cutting designs in your case. It has thousands of different bits and addons. The Dremel sells for around 30$ i believe and you can buy it Here

Here is a good attachment for your dremel.

You are also going to need a Philips and a flat head screw drivers. And for those of you who dont know what these are these are the basic screw drivers, the one with a cross shaped end and a flat end.

A molex pin remover will also be very handy if you plan to sleeve your cables. You can purchase one here.
Or you can buy a whole kit like this.

An important item is the Anti-Static wrist wrap, it will protect your motherboard and other components from getting damaged. It can be purchased here.

Of course you will need some sort of flash light or light to see everything in your case.This is a good head headlamp.

An Air Duster will be useful if your case gets dusty really fast.
You can get it here.

Plyers are also very very useful when modding, i recomend getting needle nosed because you can reach into thin places.

You will also need tape, i prefer using electric tape, the black one(usually).

Some type of permanent marker to mark where you are gonna cut.

A screw kit is also very handy because i hate looking for screws and having to install each fan with 2 screws instead of four because i dont have enough.
This is a good kit but kind of pricey.

Sand paper, to get rid of those jaggedy edges and to sand your case when painting it. But you can buy an attachemnt for your Dremel that gets rid of rough edges.

Update - Thanx to "The Dark Inquisitor"

A soldering iron,if you want to solder anything on to circuit boards like if you are gonna do some l.e.d. mods this is a must, also one with variable temps is better because you need lower temps for delicate circuits.\\

You will also need some files (the kind that you use for making rough edges smooth) but you can use the dremel attachment.

A surface for cutting and/or painting, for painting you can use newspaper or cardboard.

Cordless drill or corded for drilling holes(how could i have missed that?lol)

Magnetizers and demagnitizers for your bits for your or screw drivers drill bits so they can hold the bits with out falling off.

Safety Glasses yep, always use them or else you can get hurt.

More on the way!!!

This is all for now, i wil be updating it. And please dont go to hard on me, this is my first "review" thingy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Might I suggest the hole cutter attachment for the dremal? then you can adjust it for any size hole you want.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
How bout a B.F.H! or a plasma cutter, or a tiger torch, or a 10 guage? j/k dude, good idea for real!
keep em coming.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
lol, whoa, and to think I was joking !

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The cable attachment for the dremel is really nice. Allows you to hold the bit as if it were a pen. Good for that fine detail work and good control. I haven't used mine for case modding. (It was actually bathroom tile, but I digress.)

Also, I love my little petzl Tikka and Princeton Tec Aurora LED headlamps. They put the light right where I am looking and leave both hands free for doing whatever (usually this consists of attempting to find my ass, just to prove I can do it)

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I dont think Stickys will be used much anymore since the Answer section is in play... To keep this around make it into an Answer in the Answer section.

I transfered all my stuff over there including the stickys by request.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts