Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm purchasing a new case to mod for my new C2D I'm building after xmas and I had a couple of questions.

I need to buy new tools to get this going. I've never owned any quality tools (dad wasn't around, mom wasn't much of a handy woman) and last time I tried to put some fan holes on the top and side of my case using a cheap-o Drill and a holesaw which as you can imagine just left the case looking ridiculous (couldn't even get through the case). Luckily I was aware that might be the case so I did it on a $30 peice of crap.

What kind of drill should I get?
How much should I look to spend?
Does the type of metal the case is made from matter?

And again same three questions but with regards to a dremel

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
For the drill, IMO get a good AC one and make sure it is a 1/2 chuck, not 3/8. The cordless ones are nice but the torque can leave you wanting and if the battery starts to go then you have to either have another ready or wait while it recharges. Best case scenario you would have one of each (which I do). I love my 1/2" Rigid AC variable speed drill.

Dremel. Get the variable speed one...the construction is better and having the choice of RPMs is nice.

Rotozip (Dremel on steroids). While the dremel is great for small detail type stuff, long straight cuts on aluminum or steel go quicker with cut-off wheel for the rotozip. It is also easier to hold so your hands won't cramp up. You can use the roto for the small stuff too, but it is much harder to hold given its size and weight when doing the touchy stuff.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
A quality hole saw will cut through mild steel, aulminum, and of course plastic and wood.
Don't know what you have in Canada like our Lowes or Home Depo, but there are tons of sales on good stuff this time of year

I've used a common 18v rechargable drill/screwgun and Greenlee hole saws, Milwaukee jig saw, Dremek kit and high end air driven die grinders with cut off wheems and carbide burrs and Wiss tin snips... metal working is one of my specialties

Binusar, I was looking at the high end Rotozip kit at Home Depo today. SWEET

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet, thanks alot guys. I would rep you both but yeah..

Anyways great advice, just what I was looking for.. Thanks so much guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts