Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I want to know if it is better to have the computer case opened while playing or not, or it is better to have it close with intake and exhaust fans...
That's it xD
Thanks!

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
I dont ever use my side panel. I have never used one. When I stick my hand inside my case its very cold. I actually prefer my side panel off

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert125381 View Post

I think closed is better so it can better direct air on your components
thumb.gif
I think that only the hardrive needs air cooling, and not the motherboard, the gpu and cpu have already their cooling of course... And the Ram also needs.. But the fans on my case does not point the air to the Hard drive and neither the RAM..

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666 View Post

I prefer my case closed. Several reasons;
1) Side panel off makes my air flow screwy
2) Small domestic animals
3) Small children
4) dust
5) looks nice with the window
thumb.gif
Pretty much the same here, although I still prefer open and I do keep it open when I can at least.

Definitely runs cooler with it open as well, at least mine does about 3-5c cooler.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LC4PON3 View Post

I dont ever use my side panel. I have never used one. When I stick my hand inside my case its very cold. I actually prefer my side panel off
best example about physics, just because moved air feels cooler dont mean that its actually cool air. basic of physics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by age_ruler1 View Post

I think Closed cases have better flow....
this, and only this. rig with open sidepanel has no proper circulation

·
Registered
191 Posts
It all depends on your specific situation.

Generally, having the panel on ensures proper flow (if set up correctly to begin with). This would lead to better temps along with assurance that your components are safe.

HOWEVER:

Panel off isn't necessarily a bad thing if the environment is suited for it. For my situation, I have a specific room where my computer resides. I keep it on the desk and against the wall (no chance of falling). I don't have children and my dog isn't allowed in that room. My town house is practically brand new, so dust is non-existent. I have liquid cooling on the processor and everything else has a fan right next to it. I close my heating vents and sealed the door with rubber liner to isolate the room from the rest of the town house. I also keep my window open so in the winter, the room gets down to about 15C.

My temps don't go above 22C on my mobo, 16C on the processor. Essentially, I don't need 100% perfect air flow because I allow the conditions to make up for it.

I like it like this because I have easy access to my parts.

Also, the window on my case is cracked so it looks bad
tongue.gif

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Old thread, but I am a new builder that did not measure the Cooler Master X6 fan and came up 1/8" too big for the case. So I am planning to cut out a small section so that the crown (2"x6") sticks out and the rest of the components get fairly decent air flow. I am sure this will cause some turbulence, though with 3 case fans and the CPU cooler I am hoping this will be a good thing. Glad to see that others are using their rigs without the sides, makes me feel less like I am outside the mainstream...

·
Premium Member
27,524 Posts
If you want to leave the case open don't buy a case. Buy a test rack.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think an open case is only good if you have (almost) no fans.

I'd recommend buying some good fans (Corsair/noctua) put them in the case and close the case. There will be fresh air every second, while an open case gets no fresh air, because the air isn't moving and the warm air stays in the case. after a couple of minutes the case will already be cooler with the closed airflowy case then with the open case.

AIRFLOW IS IMPORTANT. Components get hot. If you cool them good, they will work faster and life longer. This is no rocketscience! just logical thinking!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts