Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my build. Everything is fine, but my CPU heatsink and my case's side fan hit each other very hard.
If I try to force the side closed and then screw it in, the side fan won't budge because its forced against the side.

Any idea what I should do to fix this problem? I'm scared of lots of dust getting in through the crack.

If I am overreacting and its not that big of a deal, please tell me haha

Pics:
sorry they are big

·
Registered
855 Posts
Wait, so your case fan is hitting against your cpu heatsink?

you might have to resort to taking the fan out, trying to cram the side on with the fan there isnt the best idea.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I agree with the3lement. It would be a very bad idea to force the case side on. It could either bend your panel, break your heatsink or your motherboard from the pressure pushing down from the heatsink. Maybe you can figure out a way to have a filter over where the case fan should go, to protect dust from coming in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Would it be possible to mount the fan on the outside of the case?

I was thinking about doing this but I am not sure how I could take it out cause it seems to be kinda attached to the side panel.
Its like the side panel is made of mesh and the way they attached the fan to the side is by screwing it through one hole of the mesh in 4 places, but it doesn't seem like I could unscrew it.
So the fan isn't part of the case, its on the inside attached to it.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by peacein0000
View Post

I was thinking about doing this but I am not sure how I could take it out cause it seems to be kinda attached to the side panel.
Its like the side panel is made of mesh and the way they attached the fan to the side is by screwing it through one hole of the mesh in 4 places, but it doesn't seem like I could unscrew it.
So the fan isn't part of the case, its on the inside attached to it.

Understood.

If you are still open tot he idea (pretty to look at, it may not be) then it seems that the fan ought to be able to be removed, then backside of the mounting points tapped, then re-mounted outside the case.

The only inhibiting factor would be if the fan is "molded" to the case panel... and even that can be worked around.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Understood.

If you are still open tot he idea (pretty to look at, it may not be) then it seems that the fan ought to be able to be removed, then backside of the mounting points tapped, then re-mounted outside the case.

The only inhibiting factor would be if the fan is "molded" to the case panel... and even that can be worked around.

That seems like a good idea, but what about the cables that are required for the fan?
How would I get them to get into the case? (they are to thick to fit through the mesh)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts