Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Enthusiast Cases
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are excited to announce our latest addition to the CaseLabs family – the SMA8-X Extreme Edition:

Features are similar to the SMA8-A, but with two cooling chambers that can utilize 140.4 (560) drop-in side mounts in both chambers. That’s’ right: up to three 560’s in one case for ultimate cooling and quiet operation. Ready to take on all comers!
Dimensions: 11.25" x 26.56" x 33.50" (286m x 675mm x 851mm) with 18 Flex-Bays

The SMA8-X will share the following features from the SMA8-A:

• New front I/O panel with USB 3.1 type C, HDMI, USB 3.0 and HD Audio
    [li]New front cover options including a front mounted tempered glass window, and pure ventilation (neither have Flex-Bay openings, but are capable of mounting fans/radiators behind them, not to mention much easier to access and clean fans).
    New aluminum cable management clamps
    New extra tall double wide reservoir mount
    New tempered glass windowed door panel
    Improved cable and tubing routing options with added tie-downs not visible from the motherboard chamber
    Bottom radiator mount installs from the outside (much easier to install). The mount is a 560 mount by default with included, removable, 480 adapter rails.
    Added drive capacity (2 x HDD or 4 x SSD with adapters)
    Luminous mid-plate panel designed by Charles Harwood of Xforma.
    Case lighting support rails (lighting not included)
    Updated lower side covers with reliefs for easier removal
    Dual vertical video card mount, and single vertical video card mount options (single CaseLabs branded ribbon cable included with additional available for purchase).
    Two Tone options. Exterior colors: Black, Gunmetal and White (when available). Interior colors: Black, Gunmetal, White, Red and Blue

We’ll have more information and lots of product photos over the next week or so. Expected availability in late March. Features are subject to change.

Stay tuned… :D

Attachments

·
BlackSmith Designs
239 Posts
Wow, now that is crazy cooling potential. Would be a pricey build for 3 560s, but awesome.

I love the sma8 sooo much, i just wish CaseLabs could make a sma8 that's a little cookie cutter generic, that you could produce quicker, with no customization options, and reduce the price to $500 out the door pre tax, sell it on newegg or amazon. That would sell alot. A saw on once on amazon but it sold fast.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Good lord that's massive. Think I'm happy I waited on pulling the trigger on the Rev. A.

·
jonnyblaze
4,328 Posts
Wow, now that is crazy cooling potential. Would be a pricey build for 3 560s, but awesome.

I love the sma8 sooo much, i just wish CaseLabs could make a sma8 that's a little cookie cutter generic, that you could produce quicker, with no customization options, and reduce the price to $500 out the door pre tax, sell it on newegg or amazon. That would sell alot. A saw on once on amazon but it sold fast.
oh man, I dream of this sooo badly. It was really mostly the processing time for me. I have been looking for a case for weeks and I could probably swing around $500-$600 but I dont want to wait another 7 weeks. The only thing interesting to me are the $150 range mid towers. The cases in the $300-$500 range are just not exciting, besides maybe 2 lian li models but both just werent right. if I could buy a version of the sma8 for $500 on amazon right now, I would buy right now.

that looks a lot like the sth10, excited to see the differences. I loved my sth10 so much, hopefully it is happy with new owner. Just got to big for me.

·
Still here...
3,652 Posts
I'm glad I decided to wait. The possibilities are definitely intriguing!

·
Registered
176 Posts
but i know someone is wondering will 3 560mm rads cool a 8700k on its own and how many more rads can i add to cool my 1050ti?

honestly that is a massive case and i want to see some builds in this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is technically a STH10 but it will be known as a different version of the SMA8 hence the "X". I think CL is extending the line-up of the SMA8 to its obvious evolution - Cooling chambers on Top & Bottom

On their website the reduced price of the STH10 to $591.96 (what used to cost $739.95) foretells that I think CL is dropping the name of STH10 and giving this case the new name. In the previous thread of what do we want to see from CaseLabs. I actually wrote: "Give the STH10 560mm radiator capability up on the top chamber". It is now official rather than a mod you had to do with a dremel.

On a side note here: I would like to see a case from CL with 200mm fan capabilities.

The price drop is actually a sale but who knows what the fate of the STH10 is now?

·
Enthusiast Cases
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

New front I/O panel with USB 3.1 type C, HDMI, USB 3.0 and HD Audio
New front cover options including a front mounted tempered glass window, and pure ventilation (neither have Flex-Bay openings, but are capable of mounting fans/radiators behind them, not to mention much easier to access and clean fans).
New aluminum cable management clamps
New extra tall double wide reservoir mount
New tempered glass windowed door panel
Improved cable and tubing routing options with added tie-downs not visible from the motherboard chamber
Bottom radiator mount installs from the outside (much easier to install). The mount is a 560 mount by default with included, removable, 480 adapter rails.
Added drive capacity (2 x HDD or 4 x SSD with adapters)
Luminous mid-plate panel designed by Charles Harwood of Xforma.
Case lighting support rails (lighting not included)
Updated lower side covers with reliefs for easier removal
Dual vertical video card mount, and single vertical video card mount options (single CaseLabs branded ribbon cable included with additional available for purchase).
Two Tone options. Exterior colors: Black, Gunmetal and White (when available). Interior colors: Black, Gunmetal, White, Red and Blue

·
Registered
70 Posts

. . .

Top 120.4 (480) radiator mount is now "drop-in"
How will this work with the upper cooling chamber's side 560 mounts?

·
everywhere and nowhere
332 Posts
I currently have a STH10 with 3 x 560s + 1 x 280 rads (didn't need to mod the case or side mounts to fit those fortunately, I've used the HardwareLabs SR-2 MP rads and somehow they (really tightly) fit into upper chamber, but I had to install side mounts first, then rads, then fans).

My question is, whether both upper and lower chambers will be taller/wider in this new version? Because working with 560s rads in the STH10 is really hard as it is, there's practically no space to wiggle and access the loop, esp. there is no way to remove and insert back flex bay cover for the upper or lower chamber when there is a rad assembly already installed, thus preventing from accessing the loop for maintenance and simply putting it together. Also removable cut out bottom, screwed on the OUTSIDE of the case would be really helpful, as even if there is cut out bottom option to buy now, there's no way to access it when rads are already installed (it's mounted with the screws INSIDE the case) Hope this will be addressed in the new version :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
For this kinda of rad capability I'd expect dual system options in the main compartment tbh.
This expansion for more radiators is not necessarily for dual systems, I'm sure you could mod the case to stick min itx there, somewhere, I guess It wouldn't hurt to have that option, but than you taking the space away from your main compartment and other areas, more radiator space will allow you to use lower rpm fans, you might even use case fans rather than radiator fans which in many cases are louder due to sp

·
Enthusiast Cases
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I currently have a STH10 with 3 x 560s + 1 x 280 rads (didn't need to mod the case or side mounts to fit those fortunately, I've used the HardwareLabs SR-2 MP rads and somehow they (really tightly) fit into upper chamber, but I had to install side mounts first, then rads, then fans).

My question is, whether both upper and lower chambers will be taller/wider in this new version? Because working with 560s rads in the STH10 is really hard as it is, there's practically no space to wiggle and access the loop, esp. there is no way to remove and insert back flex bay cover for the upper or lower chamber when there is a rad assembly already installed, thus preventing from accessing the loop for maintenance and simply putting it together. Also removable cut out bottom, screwed on the OUTSIDE of the case would be really helpful, as even if there is cut out bottom option to buy now, there's no way to access it when rads are already installed (it's mounted with the screws INSIDE the case) Hope this will be addressed in the new version :)

The upper and lower radiator bays are now the same size which allows the use of 560 mounts in the upper bay. In addition, the new mounts are mounted to the outside of the frame, making installation much easier.

Also, with respect to the bottom panel - it should be mounted so that the screws are on the outside of the panel to allow access after the build is assembled.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The upper and lower radiator bays are now the same size which allows the use of 560 mounts in the upper bay. In addition, the new mounts are mounted to the outside of the frame, making installation much easier.

Also, with respect to the bottom panel - it should be mounted so that the screws are on the outside of the panel to allow access after the build is assembled.

Let's see that pricetag! How many loans will I need?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Let's see that pricetag! How many loans will I need?
Lets take a guess here..I say around $900, tempered glass windowed door panel alone is a big cost to make and all the other new features

@ Jim, will the tempered glass window be offered as separate item for purchase so we can get it for our STH10 cases, I would amuse it will, I wouldn't mind getting for my big boy

1 - 20 of 67 Posts