Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why EVO IV?

Well, cause its my 4th water cooled build in as many years. While I was quite happy with the way things turned out on the other mods, I think this time this is going to be something special. And for something special, we always have to start with a good base canvas....

After traveling 16,000 kms in the last few days, the case has finally arrived.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
what are all the parts gonna be? looking at your other mod, i have a feeling this is going to be great. Subbed
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man....parts, will be worked out as the build progresses. We are at that time of the year when we are between two generations of technology, IB and Haswell.

The part list will completely depend on this.

But in the meanwhile, for a 480 rad, The XSPC AX480 or the Alphacool XT45? I like the extra ports on the Alphacool and I like how the AX looks. But both seem t perform about the same. So am a bit confused.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Begs the question......which case?
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its the Merlin SM8. Well so lets start off. A whole lot of packaging material. Thick plastic sheets. Packing peanuts and cardboard. Took me close to 30 mins just to unpack the box and get the parts out. Was easy to put it together, but I think a few things need to be better explained in the book. For eg. the motherboard tray comes with these nuts which are on the thumbscrews that connect to the case. These nuts need to be removed, otherwise the motherboard tray sticks out a bit. This I think got missed out in the manual, unless I am doing something wrong. There were 1 or 2 more exceptions like this, which got me a bit confused, but its more or less done now..

First off, the unpacking:

And this is where I am right now. Had some confusion on the hinges, but sorted them out soon enough.

I also needed to change the sleeving on the front panel connectors. The quality of the sleeve is nice, thick and nt see through at all. But since the sleeving ends a few mm's away from the connectors, I decided to resleeve it with some MDPC:

Off with the old:

In with the new:

Thats it for this update. I have ordered most of the cooling parts from performance pcs. Its shipped last night, so I guess that will take 2 weeks to get here.

In the meanwhile, I need to work out the placing of the heatmaster and the cabling for it. I also got my reservoir tube today, so need to work out where thats going to go.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And finally its all together. It took a while but I finally decided to go RATX.

And trust me, I could not be happier. The quality is just something else. I have worked with a few aluminium cases, but this is just on another level.

Now, a few plans. At the bottom, there is going to be mid plate, but one which will not cover the PSU, as the PSU is too close to the mobo and then I wont have enough place to install a light panel....yes, thats right, this build is going to have a mid panel light mod...

The whole piece will be made out of acrylic. and I will install a length of LED's which will light up the top of the box. And trust me, I could not be happier. The quality is just something else. I have worked with a few aluminium cases, but this is just on another level.

Now, a few plans. At the bottom, there is going to be mid plate, but one which will not cover the PSU, as the PSU is too close to the mobo and then I wont have enough place to install a light panel....yes, thats right, this build is going to have a mid panel light mod...

The whole piece will be made out of acrylic. and I will install a length of LED's which will light up the top of the box. AT the bottom, I have installed the Heatmaster, which will automate my water cooling pumps and fans as per temperatures. And the white box is the controller for the LED's.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
looking great!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Started work on the mid plate/light box. The box is like a U shaped acrylic piece, which will hold the light box on the top. Cut outs have been made where required, so that wiring can be done inside of it.

The U shaped box is now done:

Sorry for the crappy pics. But this was in a shop with a whole lot of acrylic dust flying around. And I just could not take my camera inside.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
can't wait to see more!

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your lightbox progress.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Started work on the top of the mid panel. Like I said earlier, the idea is to get a light panel in here which can light up the whole case. So heres how it went:

So first up, the frame with a mirror acrylic inside and the LED strip attached to the sides. Then:

On top of that we install a plain thick block of acrylic which has been scored

And finally a white piece of acrylic on the top. And this is the final product:

The controller can dim the lights, can brighten it up and do about 13-14 different colors, which you can change according to the theme you want. It can also do a bunch of other stuff, but I am not getting into that right now.

Next is the moment of truth. Will it fit? Are the dimensions right? It looks a bit bigger than I thought. But hopefully it will be fine.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
^ This thing look amazing. I can't wait to see what it looks like in the case. I want one really bad now. I would love to see more detail so I can copy you.
tongue.gif
How much did the box ended up costing you in material?

·
back at it
4,776 Posts
looks great! subbed
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragsters View Post

^ This thing look amazing. I can't wait to see what it looks like in the case. I want one really bad now. I would love to see more detail so I can copy you.
tongue.gif
How much did the box ended up costing you in material?
The whole thing cost me about 10 usd for the materials and cutting and another ten for the light strip. One of the advantages of staying in India. But then we get shafted by shipping costs on wc stuff. I will put up a quick idea of how I made it as well. It was something of a dark art that no body wanted to share. But I saw one guy share it on his project and copied it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxer View Post

Wow, that acrylic panel looks REALLY awesome. Subbed!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinos98 View Post

looks great! subbed
biggrin.gif
Thanks guys. I think the final theme will be decided once I get some reviews and costs on a haswell setup. Till then I have to keep waiting.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts