Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, Cat6 has been tested at higher frequencies and has higher bandwidth, but it's also more expensive. My question is that I already have all Cat5 cabling for my 4 comp lan, but now have all motherboards capable of 1000T, would there be much difference for gaming if I purchased a Gigabyte router and purchased Cat5e or Cat6 cabling? Remember, this question is directly related to gaming performance only. I could careless if their web surfer improves
Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone that has hands on experience with gaming networks.

·
underest
459 Posts
It would be a little to no improvement.

Cat5e can run near Cat6 speeds, but cannot be certified for that use. Either way, unless you're just looking to spend money, Cat5 gets the job done.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
The price difference between CAT5e and CAT6 is nearly nothing...

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderEstimated
View Post

It would be a little to no improvement.

Cat5e can run near Cat6 speeds, but cannot be certified for that use. Either way, unless you're just looking to spend money, Cat5 gets the job done.

So you don't think I'd see much improvement buying a 1000T router and dumping my 100T?

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
My job is running cable for data networks. THe price per 1000ft is very similar. Its $105 for cat5e and $120 for cat6e. Cat6 has better shielding and is worth it if your going to be running long lines.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd
View Post

My job is running cable for data networks. THe price per 1000ft is very similar. Its $105 for cat5e and $120 for cat6e. Cat6 has better shielding and is worth it if your going to be running long lines.

Thanks for the input, but I think you're missing the basic question. My question is more specifically if switching to a Gigalan network over what I currently have, 100T, would be much of an improvement? If yes, then cable prices come into play because I'll need new ones

Edit: Thanks guys. Reps+

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Simply not worth it in the end, i mean sure, if you want to be ahead of the game get it, but you still will not beat that dude that hooked his grandma in japan up with Gigabytes per second

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
My backups across the LAN went a lot faster when I put in a gigabit switch.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtypin
View Post

Simply not worth it in the end, i mean sure, if you want to be ahead of the game get it, but you still will not beat that dude that hooked his grandma in japan up with Gigabytes per second

We won't be playing very often over the internet. We mainly play 4 player RTS games over my Lan.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
View Post

Thanks for the input, but I think you're missing the basic question. My question is more specifically if switching to a Gigalan network over what I currently have, 100T, would be much of an improvement? If yes, then cable prices come into play because I'll need new ones

Edit: Thanks guys. Reps+

If you already have Cat5 in place then there is no reason to upgrade but if you are running new wire there is no reason not to use cat6. Sorry for misreading.

The only way you will see the benefits will be though benchmarks unless you have runs 50m+ (THe limit for Cat6 is 90m).

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I guess the general consensus is that buying a Gigalan router would be a waste of money. I guess I'll keep my trusty dusty Linksys 100T that has a bazillion gaming hours on it

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
View Post

Okay, I guess the general consensus is that buying a Gigalan router would be a waste of money. I guess I'll keep my trusty dusty Linksys 100T that has a bazillion gaming hours on it

A gigabit network is definitely worth it. Also, if your NICs support Duplexing, that will increase bandwidth by 60% or so.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Cat6 is like 6.99 for 50 feet at newegg (unless that was some type of sale because thats what I paid for mine a year ago when I bought 250ft), if you buy your own cable and crip your own ends its even cheaper.

I don't see the issue here... Cat5 is stupid cheat, and cat6 is still really cheap.

Retail prices are insane, but online is different.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
Cat6 is like 6.99 for 50 feet at newegg (unless that was some type of sale because thats what I paid for mine a year ago when I bought 250ft), if you buy your own cable and crip your own ends its even cheaper.

I don't see the issue here... Cat5 is stupid cheat, and cat6 is still really cheap.

Retail prices are insane, but online is different.
The issue is whether or not buying a new router would be worth it or if it would be a waste. From the feedback I've been given, I'm choosing to stick with 100T.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts