Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me see if I can explain this right. Let's say I have pre-made cat5e. It is terminated type B. The plug in the wall is type A and runs to the other plug on the other end which is Type A. The cable on the other side is type B. Is that a problem? Because most of the pre-made cables I see are type B.
Actually, what is better? Type A or type B?

Another question. What is the maximum length you can have a stranded cable. Monoprice sells 100' cables and say they work great. I have talked to people and they say they are great. What is your consensuses?

·
Still lurkin about :/
1,552 Posts
Max cable length for cat5 is 105m, so the census it 100m tops.

As for the A/B question, all B has done is swap the green/white green with the orange/white orange strands (makes no difference).

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts
Cat5 cables have a maximum effect range of 100m. You can run them for distances over 100m, but they will start to see more signal attenuation, so that isn't recommended without the use of repeating devices.

When it comes to useing type B cables with type A ports, the A color coding is for digitial phone lines, while B is for data (ie. Ethernet). In other words you won't have any issues pairing them up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Type a and type b are arrangements of wire at the end of the cables. You can have type a on one end and a type b on the other and that will be a crossover cable. None is better, their both good. Maximum length for Unshielded Twisted Pair or utp cat whatever is 100 meters. It doesn't matter if its a cat 7, its still 100 meters.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingeborgdot
View Post

So is there NO difference between stranded or solid cable and their length requirement?

There is a difference in that solid give better performance and are usually use in long runs. Most utp cables are rated at 100 meters but there are some exceptions. The bottom line is that solid go for long runs but stranded are used as patch cables. However, solid have been used as patch cables before.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Stranded is better if you plan to move it at all. Solid core WILL break after moving it a lot.

As for length, I've run two lengths of 500ft stranded for video/sound over Cat5 and it worked very well. I wouldn't suggest anything over 300ft for a permanent installation though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Length matters what your going to use it for. I never knew that you can use utp or stp for video/audio as I thought it was used mainly on data transmission. 100 meters max for any modern Ethernet cabling if your are planning to use a utp cable. Signal will start to degrade in the wire if you go above this limit.

BTW, what were you planning to do with the cabling?

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts