Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MSI 4850, with the newest ATI driver and CCC installed.

But when I use CCC, it crashes my computer, with either a blank, black, or black and white striped screen, and it restarts itself in about 10 seconds.

Sometimes it happens when I start CCC, sometimes after I apply a new setting in CCC, and sometimes when I have it running in the background.

I'm on XP Pro SP3, with all MS updates installed.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening? I am using CCC to control and fan because I just started folding on this PC when its idle, so please help a newbie folder out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobdown
View Post

are you oced at all?

The card comes factory OCed, at 625mhz gpu clock and 1968mhz memory.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobdown
View Post

my pc would crach every time i let fah run for anyperiod of time

what is "fah"?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
fold @ home xD

stay away from MSI video cards, my 4670 died just like that after 3 months, no warning no anything... shame, it was doing real well, and waiting for RMA

·
Registered
244 Posts
its most likely the energy saving feature of CCC where it underclocks both mem and gpu to 500mhz try to conserve energy. if it completely stops crashing once you stop using CCC, its probably because CCC mistakenly underclocks even under load and this might be crashing you.

just use rivatuner for your needs but you will need to sacrifice the energy saving feature

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobpower2
View Post

its most likely the energy saving feature of CCC where it underclocks both mem and gpu to 500mhz try to conserve energy. if it completely stops crashing once you stop using CCC, its probably because CCC mistakenly underclocks even under load and this might be crashing you.

just use rivatuner for your needs but you will need to sacrifice the energy saving feature

hmmm good insight. I will give that a try.

and i dont think it has anything to do with the MSI card itself, since it has never had problems til i started folding and using CCC to control and fan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts