Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing HL1 so I wouldnt have to download it from Steam and just as is finished installing I heard a loud pop. I thought my PSU had blown or something had gone on my mobo or graphics card. But everything was still working fine. So I went to open the CD drive to get the disk out and Holy Crap! There were CD pieces everywhere in the tray!

I pulled the tray out and got as many CD parts out as I could but a few are still in the drive. What are the chances that the drive is damaged and wont work now?

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Oh my God!!!
. I have to say I've never heard that one before. Sorry about the drive man, there is a good chance it wont work anymore. You probably can get everything out of it though and give it a better chance at living. There should be screws on the bottom, maybe on the top too. Unscrew them all and open it up and see if there are peices everywhere. You wouln't want to keep using the drive and those little peices catch on fire or something.

Good luck and wow!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
whoa, thats really weird. the only i can think of is if the cd was really really cold when you put it in and if it heated up to fast or something or if the cds been frozen and heated alot and eventually it just broke. but i doubt both of those cause unless you put your cds in the freezer and then into boiling water alot i dont think that would happen

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
WOW i mean just WOW thats pretty bad. Well like one of the members suggested take the cd-rom apart and try and remove all pieces, i actually have belief that the cd-rom drive might still work. Also when you open it up dont worry about parts falling out because everything should be all together.

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Ive heard of this, its because your hl cd probably had a crack or something in it, and your most probably 52x Drive, since the rpm is higher, slowly breaks it until it fully fragments into pieces. You should check if anything other than your cd drive is broken, ive heard of cases that fragments have totally destroryed the system.

What you can do is send the fragments to sierra and the'll send you a brand new hl1 cd, but no replacement on the drive.. =(

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I saw that before on myth busters

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I think its a secret mechanism concocted by the vile minds of valve....lol

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerand

I saw that before on myth busters

Yeah, but it dosn't really take a router to get the CD at a high enough RPM to shatter a disc. The disc had a weak spot some where on it, and that part gave way and caused the disc to shatter. The same thing happend to one of my clanmates when he was installing Raven Shield. I'm 98% sure that your drive is toast, sorry.

·
Registered
308 Posts
This happened to my bro too a while back. Had a cheapo burned cd in there and it just shattered into so many pieces. I opened it up and there were pieces everywhere and I think some pieces were sticking to the inside of the cd drive because it heated up so much and melted on the sides. I just opened the cd drive and took out all the cd bits. I plugged it back in and the drive worked just fine. Hopefully you'll have the same luck

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

Yeah, but it dosn't really take a router to get the CD at a high enough RPM to shatter a disc. The disc had a weak spot some where on it, and that part gave way and caused the disc to shatter. The same thing happend to one of my clanmates when he was installing Raven Shield. I'm 98% sure that your drive is toast, sorry.

Its not toast. I pulled out the tray, got all the pieces out and put it back in - the drive works fine now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts