Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

'm thinking of getting a new pentium 4 631 cedermill ...
Are they any good for overclocking, and what are the temp ranges for it ?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
The Cedar Mills are new and they similiar to the Prescott, but they are 65nm. That means they will run cooling, consume less power, and OC better. I am also planning on getting a 631 or 641.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
With the right board you will be able to take a 631 @ 3.0GHz to a 4GHz overclock just by increasing the fsb from 800 to 1066. You very likely can do this with stock voltages and even lower the voltage.

I have a 630 3GHz on a P5AD2-E Premium board running 4.02GHz @ 1.34V. This is 24hours dual prime95 stable. By far the easiest overclock I have ever done. Corsair 533 DDR2 @ 711 4-4-4-10.

R

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are faster 667 DDRs memory more likely to help in a overclock or can slower DDRs memory be also considered

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
The Cedar Mill chips are pretty good from what Ive seen. You can probably get close to 5GHz with good air cooling and even higher with good water cooling.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 ghz ?!??!?!??!?!

Man are you nuts, for how long do you think the structure of that chip can hold that kind of a beating. I thought running it at 4 ghz was pushing it

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
AHEM.... 1.3 volts is NOT pushing it.... lol, 5ghz is definetly possible with good water.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Its 65nm and its core is much improved over all other P4's until now. The older 90nm precotts put out alot of heat, while the new Cedar Mill's are 65nm and are cool, along with dont get as hot when increasing voltage and cpu speed. I think 4.0+ on good air is definately possible.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honsbeek
5 ghz ?!??!?!??!?!

Man are you nuts, for how long do you think the structure of that chip can hold that kind of a beating. I thought running it at 4 ghz was pushing it
The CPU can go up a lot higher because it is more efficient. That means it makes less heat and consumes less power. With watercooling these have gotten over 5.5Ghz!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the Way, what do you guys think about the 930 Pentium D Dual CORE chips with the same technology as the 631 , just double core. Will these run also cooler than the previous 830

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honsbeek

By the Way, what do you guys think about the 930 Pentium D Dual CORE chips with the same technology as the 631 , just double core. Will these run also cooler than the previous 830

Yes, the Dual Cores are the future. Although you will see little performance boost in a Dual Core over a Cedar Mill currently. When Windows Vista comes out and new applications that have dual core in mind, the Dual Cores will smash the single cores.

Keep in mind that dual cores are slightly hotter that a standard single core processor.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Keep in mind that dual cores are slightly hotter that a standard single core processor.

No kidding. I went from a 3Ghz Presoctt idleing at 41c on a cheap thermatake HSF and AS5 to a Dual core Presler which idled at 56c on the stock HSF and AS5 (got it down to 44c idle with a Zalman 9500, hoping AS5 will bring it to 40........)

As for Windows Vista

Vista Home Page

I heard the system requirments for this one are going to be high though, but we'll see. I also read that they have confirmed that HALO 2 will be coming to the PC, but only on Vista.

It's due to be released later this year IIRC. (Vista, not HALO 2 LOL)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So when is it supposed to be released officially.
I have seen beta copies out there already , are they advisable ?

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Vista?

Supposed to be out this year, probably near the end, Q3 or Q4 would be my guess, don't think they have announced a firm date.

They don't technically have "beta"s of Vista as far as I know, I remember reading that they are doing something different.....but for all intents and purposes, yeah, there are test copies out there. I have not used one so can't speak for the advisablity of that.

As buggy as the retail release of Windows OSs usually are, I wouldn't use a pre-release copy on any machine connected to the internet or primary use machine.

but that's just me......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pentium 4 631 (Cedar Mill) 3.0 Ghz
STOCK Cooler (for the moment)
ASUS P5LD2
Samsung DDR667 512mb in dual slots
ATI Radeon x1600Pro
Seagate S-ATA 300 GB (7200.8)

FSB280 1.3v
4:5 350mhz 4-4-4-11-2 hyperpath Enable