Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At work, we have this little box that plays music. The music stopped, so I plugged an old monitor into the VGA port to see what was going on. I am pretty sure someone slammed into it while it was on, while the hard drive was powered on. It is a mini PC that runs CentOS, and connects to a server somewhere that feeds it music, that much I know. Can anyone tell me about the errors on the screen?

Attachments

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
Seems like the OS got Effed quite good. Try starting from the Grub, the Recovery one and see what it does.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,414 Posts
Re: Recovery Disk

I was hoping not lol, we don't have one for it.
It is pretty likely you won't need a CentOS recovery disk since the errors are file system errors in which what is archived in the journal doesn't match what is currently in the partition. That can very likely be resolved and repaired with a simple e2fsck or using the "Check" option on any bootable media that has GParted or a similar partition tool. I'm rather fond of Hiren's Boot CD 15.2. Just be certain to unmount the partition before you check it.

If that, however unlikely, fails there are still both free and reasonable cost pro level deep recovery Linux apps available.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
At work, we have this little box that plays music. The music stopped, so I plugged an old monitor into the VGA port to see what was going on. I am pretty sure someone slammed into it while it was on, while the hard drive was powered on. It is a mini PC that runs CentOS, and connects to a server somewhere that feeds it music, that much I know. Can anyone tell me about the errors on the screen?
You have media errors which most likely means badblocks. Running an e2fsck -cvfy <device> may help you resolve your troubles. These errors are being generated by libata You can look them up. For example DRDY ERR means drive ready error. Please see link for other meanings

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Libata_error_messages

UNC Uncorrectable error - often due to bad sectors on the disk

So basically what your errors are saying is the drive is not ready due to an error most likely bad sectors on disk. You should be able load into the boot loader and see if it has an emergency mode you can force. Typically be editing the kernel boot line and tacking "emergency" at the end of it and booting. (this vary from distro to dristo and version to version)

I hope this helps you recover your music box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts