Overclock.net banner

[Ceravision] launches new standard in lighting – High Efficiency Plasma (HEP)

662 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Traeumt
Quote:

We are able to reduce actual energy consumption by over 50%. No other lighting product on the market is even close to delivering these levels of efficiency.

Source

Another interesting thing to note is:

Ceravision and Toshiba Electronics sign development and supply agreement to advance High Efficiency Plasma Technology
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
"50% more efficient than regular plasma TVs!"

which, in my mind, equals "50% faster than dial-up!"

Still kind of cool, though.
Very misleading article...

It scales to a minimum of 100watts, which basically means it has little/no use in residential homes. Furthermore, the typical (it says minimum) watt/lumen ratio is about 90, which isn't as good as most powerful HPS (High pressure sodium) and MH (metal halide) lights, at least in industrial use.

A typical 1000w HPS puts out ~130,000 lumens... much better than 90 lumens/watt.

On top of that, LEDs are likely as efficient as these, you just can't measure lumen output of LEDs in the same way as conventional lighting.

The real success here is that these lights are TINY, i mean miniscule in comparison to industrial HPS and MH lights. A 1000W MH light looks like a football, and requires a ballast to power it. These plasma lights also require a "ballast" but it is much smaller. Its with this "ballast" that these new lights snuff out luminaire efficiencies efficiencies of other bulbs and achieve 90%+.

I wonder what kind of heat output these things have? I also wonder what kind of spectrum can be achieved? What kind of penetration can be achieved? I would expect to see these in experimentally closets sometime within the next two years.

Overall, great technology, I just think they're getting a little too excited over a small gain.

Edit: This has NOTHING to do with Plasma TV's...
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by liermam View Post
Very misleading article...

It scales to a minimum of 100watts, which basically means it has little/no use in residential homes. Furthermore, the typical (it says minimum) watt/lumen ratio is about 90, which isn't as good as most powerful HPS (High pressure sodium) and MH (metal halide) lights, at least in industrial use.

A typical 1000w HPS puts out ~130,000 lumens... much better than 90 lumens/watt.

On top of that, LEDs are likely as efficient as these, you just can't measure lumen output of LEDs in the same way as conventional lighting.

The real success here is that these lights are TINY, i mean miniscule in comparison to industrial HPS and MH lights. A 1000W MH light looks like a football, and requires a ballast to power it. These plasma lights also require a "ballast" but it is much smaller. Its with this "ballast" that these new lights snuff out luminaire efficiencies efficiencies of other bulbs and achieve 90%+.

I wonder what kind of heat output these things have? I also wonder what kind of spectrum can be achieved? What kind of penetration can be achieved? I would expect to see these in experimentally closets sometime within the next two years.

Overall, great technology, I just think they're getting a little too excited over a small gain.

Edit: This has NOTHING to do with Plasma TV's...
Yes I know, that's why I added the part with Toshiba, I presumed, maybe since Toshiba manufactures Plasma TVs that this might lead to something to do with Plasma TVs. But it's completely different than I thought.
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAlex View Post
Yes I know, that's why I added the part with Toshiba, I presumed, maybe since Toshiba manufactures Plasma TVs that this might lead to something to do with Plasma TVs. But it's completely different than I thought.
Honestly, I would expect to see an article like this at a forum dedicated to Medical Marijuana long before OCN, but thanks for posting it. Now I've got something to research with my Sunday afternoon.
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.