Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been monitoring my FPS and I noticed in certain games my FPS will not be near 60, but my GPU power is no where near maxed out. There is nothing on my system that is being bottlenecked as far as I can tell, and I have "Prefer Maximum Performance" on. Specifically I have this problem with games, but things like Heaven 4.0 have no problems utilizing 100% of my GPU power.

Rise of the Tomb Raider (playing on a pre-dx12 build)

• I have throttling set to 90 degress on Precision.
  • Prefer Maximum Performance is on.
  • Certain applications have no problem using 100% GPU power.

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
Pretty sure @BradleyW has some less than anecdotal evidence about this game being CPU bound.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

Pretty sure @BradleyW has some less than anecdotal evidence about this game being CPU bound.
AMD 290X CFX
4.5GHz 3930K
DDR3 2400MHz Quad.

Settings:

HT OFF CFX OFF
ONE CORE

TWO CORE

FOUR CORE

SIX CORE

HT OFF CFX ON
ONE CORE

TWO CORE

THREE CORE

FOUR CORE

SIX CORE

So the game does not seem to use more than 3 cores at most, two of which are being utilized by each 290X when CFX is enabled. The game uses 2 cores well, and a bit of the 3rd, despite task manager showing usage on all threads when 6 cores are enabled. HT did not improve things sadly. In comparison, TR 2013 used 4 cores extremely well.

Just so you are all aware, I retested with SSAA at x2. The FPS remained at 48. That's a sign of a CPU bottleneck. One things for sure, this game is seriously heavy on the CPU in this location.

So my min FPS is 48, with a 3930K. That's just pathetic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDash View Post

I've been monitoring my FPS and I noticed in certain games my FPS will not be near 60, but my GPU power is no where near maxed out. There is nothing on my system that is being bottlenecked as far as I can tell, and I have "Prefer Maximum Performance" on. Specifically I have this problem with games, but things like Heaven 4.0 have no problems utilizing 100% of my GPU power.
Rise of the Tomb Raider (playing on a pre-dx12 build)
  • I have throttling set to 90 degress on Precision.
  • Prefer Maximum Performance is on.
  • Certain applications have no problem using 100% GPU power.
When this happenes, it either doesn't have good support for CFX/SLI on a driver/game level, or the application is heavily CPU bound on a single core for most of it's calculations. This will then significantly reduce FPS despite having some great GPU horse power! There's nothing wrong with your hardware. This is just the nature of some game engines and their API.

• Rep+
Reactions: DoomDash

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. Wish they spent more time optimizing games properly. Will DX12 do anything to compensate for this once SLI is working?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the information. Wish they spent more time optimizing games properly. Will DX12 do anything to compensate for this once SLI is working?
There was a similar issue in tomb raider 2013 that was fixed in a patch. It is a coding issue for sure and I doubt dx12 will do anything. Beat thing to do would be to make a thread on the steam forums for this game because the devs pay attention there.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

Yes, it will, provided the application is well programmed. It will allow for a higher number of draw calls to be calculated in good time, reducing CPU overhead and overall latency.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts