Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVGA X58 board. The top (primary) PCIE lane is empty due to the use of a sound card which blocks it. So I have the cards in lanes 2 and 3 and both device manager and Cat are only detecting one card. Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
I would test with the sound card out and the video cards in 1/3 or 1/5 to see if they work with a normal configuration. If it works, just put the sound card below your cards if going 1/3 or between them if going 1/5.

But what kind of sound card are you running that blocks a slot below it? That thing must be honkin'.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Move your sound card to ANY other PCIe slot...

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kz26
View Post

Why is your sound card in the primary PCIe slot? Put the GPUs in 1 and 2 and the sound card in the last slot.

The "primary" slot is empty. I think he's saying his sound card is in one of those PCI-E 1x slots that some boards have at the top. I still don't get how the slot below it would be blocked though.

• Rep+
Reactions: Slightly skewed

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaldari
View Post

The "primary" slot is empty. I think he's saying his sound card is in one of those PCI-E 1x slots that some boards have at the top. I still don't get how the slot below it would be blocked though.

Correct!
It's a Xonar STX and it's the board's layout combined with the large stock 5870 cooler that's the issue. I'll move it to another PCIE slot and see if it works. I hear that it's doesn't fit so well and some have problems running it in a graphics card slot.

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moved the vid cards to 1 and 3 and put the SC in 2 for optimal cooling. The SC seems to work just fine in that slot even if fittment is a little sloppy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts