Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

With Microsoft becoming increasingly marginalized in areas like mobile media, DirectX is becoming less of a must-use toolset and more of a gaming-specific one. The other side of the coin is, of course, the increasing relevance of standards like OpenGL, OpenAL, and OpenCL: powerful cross-platform systems for graphics, audio, and parallel processing. You may remember OpenCL from its debut on the Mac in Snow Leopard, and OpenGL ES of course powers the UI on the iPad. OpenAL is still a ways from being brought under the public eye, but it’s getting there. In the meantime, OpenGL 4.0 was announced today at GDC, and clearly it has DirectX in its sights.

Read

·
Registered
659 Posts
Cool. 4.0 could get interesting.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just realized Penumbra: Black Plague has EFX. A good alternative to EAX. Also realised it's not run in DX.

So EFX, is opensource FTW!

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
With Valve expanding to the Mac market, we have a really good possibility of increased interest from commercial gaming firms to invest in OpenGL development. Better OpenGL specifications will only make it more attractive.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
DirectX was always for gaming only... It's actually expanding in usage now because of Windows 7.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
I want to see some comparisons. Lets see the unreal engine done up pretty and both and compare numbers. If openGL has some tangeable benefits that type of information could attract developers. To often with openGL we hear about all these new features and how similar to or better then they are to the latest DX11, without some apples to apples comparisons.

·
Registered
928 Posts
And only games which will make you use of it is Rage and Doom 4. Only IDsoftware till date uses OpenGL everyone switched to Directx. Developing engines under OpenGL API is very hard job and mind exploding work. John Carmack is awesome

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xzeara View Post
I just realized Penumbra: Black Plague has EFX. A good alternative to EAX. Also realised it's not run in DX.

So EFX, is opensource FTW!
Openal is pretty much creative's API. Both EFX and EAX work with openal but EFX has much more potential (and it doesn't lock non-creative audio devices out).

FMOD is proprietary and somewhat inferior but it's getting included in more game engines. It's still better than a lot of alternatives out there but it's nothing special.

My point? OpenGL can be open source, cross platform and eventually superior to directx and still have a hard time penetrating the game developer world.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rothen View Post
OpenGL FTW! Direct X is not cross-platform, and doesn't work well in other platforms. We need a switch!
But DirectX is better?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1Joeno1 View Post
It's not.
what does openGL offer in terms of features and ease of use?

It's cross platform, it's open. Other than taht what does it offer that would actually make a game dev want to switch?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1Joeno1 View Post
It's not.
Prove it, show me usage statistics, show me features, show me update history.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I could have sworn OpenGL pretty much died a decade ago. Either that, or there hasn't been a whole lot of talk about it, and developers dont note it's use in games anymore.

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
Didn't OpenGL 3 just come out recently? What actually made use of OpenGL 3?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
Openal is pretty much creative's API. Both EFX and EAX work with openal but EFX has much more potential (and it doesn't lock non-creative audio devices out).

FMOD is proprietary and somewhat inferior but it's getting included in more game engines. It's still better than a lot of alternatives out there but it's nothing special.

My point? OpenGL can be open source, cross platform and eventually superior to directx and still have a hard time penetrating the game developer world.
OpenAL was the phoenix of eax's ashes. EAX should be considered deprecated, that's why it's not on many games at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdek View Post
But DirectX is better?
Depends on your definition of better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdek View Post
Prove it, show me usage statistics, show me features, show me update history.
Popularity =/= Quality. Without being a video engineer I doubt half the features would mean much to either me or you, except for the odd 'oh, that's cool' that we'd get from things like tessellation.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Someone made a post comparing them, it was linked to in the Steam on Mac threads.

It showed Unigine running on OpenGL too, which looked better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts