Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Started digging a bit. Found this: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review,26.html

i7 3960X @ 4.6GHz

nvidia 780ti: x5114
AMD R9 290x: x4693

Simular scores here:

http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-video-card-review_128012/8

780ti: x5133
290x: x5035

If the score of x8121 is accurate, (a bit to high IMHO) it will be placed at 22nd place world wide.

While this would be really exciting, I think the score is to high if the score scales in a way near linear to performance. Of that, I have no idea. If anyone else can provide more insight to what a score of x8121 actually means that would be awesome!

EDIT: Translated link to ChipHell for the lazy

• Rep+
Reactions: SlaveOnDope

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
Where it says "AMD Radeon R9 300 series", isn't that supposed to be more specific. Like "AMD Radeon R380?

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Why do we even bother looking at or talking about these fake ass scores that come up every time a new GPU is about to be hit? I have yet to see one even be true.....

·
Banned
6,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

Where it says "AMD Radeon R9 300 series", isn't that supposed to be more specific. Like "AMD Radeon R380?
No, my computer identifies the display adapter as R9 200 series as well and it doesnt specify that it is an R9 290X.

·

1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Why do we even bother looking at or talking about these fake ass scores that come up every time a new GPU is about to be hit? I have yet to see one even be true.....
Those articles just start conversations...

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:

There have been legit (or at least coincidentally accurate) leaks before... There's just no way to verify them before the actual release, which makes them pretty pointless.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Quote:

There have been legit (or at least coincidentally accurate) leaks before... There's just no way to verify them before the actual release, which makes them pretty pointless.
Lmao. Nvidia fans had no problem arguing for over 660 posts over rumors of the amd gpu being 300w. Now this rumor that the gpu is so fast, and zomg, now you question the whole process. Convenient huh?

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupl3xxx View Post

Started digging a bit. Found this: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review,26.html

i7 3960X @ 4.6GHz

nvidia 780ti: x5114
AMD R9 290x: x4693

Simular scores here:

http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-video-card-review_128012/8

780ti: x5133
290x: x5035

If the score of x8121 is accurate, (a bit to high IMHO) it will be placed at 22nd place world wide.

While this would be really exciting, I think the score is to high if the score scales in a way near linear to performance. Of that, I have no idea. If anyone else can provide more insight to what a score of x8121 actually means that would be awesome!

EDIT: Translated link to ChipHell for the lazy

Hwbot to the rescue!

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Lmao. Nvidia fans had no problem arguing for over 660 posts over rumors of the amd gpu being 300w. Now this rumor that the gpu is so fast, and zomg, now you question the whole process. Convenient huh?
I like how you buy an Nvidia card and you suddenly are a fan boy. Here, for the record, are my GPU purchases since 2009.

Nvidia:

1x GTX 275
1x GTX 470
2x GTX 560 Ti
1x 780 Ti

ATi/AMD:

1x 5450
1x 6950
1x 7850
3x 7970
1x R7 260X
1x R9 290

By definition of how you people judge someone a "Fanboy" I would be an AMD Fanboy........

Those are just discrete GPU purchases I have needed for various reasons, and doesn't include the various APUs I have purchased as well.

I have no problems discussing potential performances, and speculating about things. These particular "leaks" are easily faked, and as of yet haven't been real prior to any official release. Usually they are bad photoshops of an existing score.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawIX View Post

There's always over-hype like this for both companies, pre-launch. Now I'm not sure what to believe.
AMD R9 390 series will be 28nm with HBM. Faster than then 980 and very close in performance to "big maxwell". Which ends up being between Fiji and "big maxwell" is still undecided. This is what you can believe. It's gonna be a close one this time around, both in time and performance. Looking forward to the potentially greatest price-war in years!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
if those numbers are true 300watt is nothing for that kind of performance and if those are 380's numbers the 390x should be a monster gpu especialy at 20 nm
ps : it was a joke the part about 20 nm
biggrin.gif

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not the R9 300 series is going to be faster than nVidia cards. We (or at least I am) questioning whether or not this "leak" is real.

Both nVidia and ATI/AMD have been "leapfrogging" ever since both companies existed.

nVidia 10xx cards are going to be quicker than R9 3xx cards
R9 4xx cards are going to be quicker than GTX 10xx cards
GTX 11xx cards are going to be quicker than R9 4xx cards.

ect.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Quote:

AMD R9 390 series will be 28nm with HBM. Faster than then 980 and very close in performance to "big maxwell". Which ends up being between Fiji and "big maxwell" is still undecided. This is what you can believe. It's gonna be a close one this time around, both in time and performance. Looking forward to the potentially greatest price-war in years!
I've heard the same thing every launch for years. I'd be happy if this were true, hell I own x6 290x. We'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Quote:

Close isn't good enough. Hopefully AMD knows this.

The 7970 was "close" to the 680, and was completely dismissed. The 290X was "close" the 780 Ti and was completely dismissed. The 290X is still "close" to the 980, and is completely dismissed in spite of ringing it at nearly half the price. Price doesn't get remember, and "close" is a default win for NV in the average consumer's eyes.

If AMD wants a win, they need a dramatic one. Personally, I think they stand to earn more in public image than they stand to lose in simple revenue by doing so. They obviously don't agree, as their strategy is to consistently offer much better value while with apples to apples performance.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
$399 please AMD thanks
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

·
Banned
6,632 Posts
Hell, If it will perform that well and wont have a liquid cooler and wont be as noisy as the 290X its an instant buy for me, even for $599.

Unless it will have 4GBs of VRAM.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

Close isn't good enough. Hopefully AMD knows this.

The 7970 was "close" to the 680, and was completely dismissed. The 290X was "close" the 780 Ti and was completely dismissed. The 290X is still "close" to the 980, and is completely dismissed in spite of ringing it at nearly half the price. Price doesn't get remember, and "close" is a default win for NV in the average consumer's eyes.

If AMD wants a win, they need a dramatic one. Personally, I think they stand to earn more in public image than they stand to lose in simple revenue by doing so. They obviously don't agree, as their strategy is to consistently offer much better value while with apples to apples performance.
People didn't even know how the 680 was going to perform and many forum posters were dismissing the 7970. AMD vs Nvidia is probably the biggest enthusiast "team" brands in tech short of Apple vs Everyone else. Nvidia still undercut 7970 by $50 because they launched later. If 390X performs well, even if big Maxwell is faster it means better pricing.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts