Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a friends new gaming build, he will be using a 2700x and 16GB Corsair LPX 3GHz. Having a tough time deciding as both boards are about the same price. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have to choose a motherboard too on the same platform and segment. I didn't choose one of them yet.

Both of these motherboards have a lot of features and very good VRMs. If it helps:

* Asus Crosshair VI Hero:

+ For people who have a heatsink from a previous rig is the only AM4 motherboard that is compatible with AM3 coolers without kits.
+ Previously a high range motherboard, at mid-high price range right now.
- It had some serious BIOS issues. Some BIOS could even brick the motherboard.
- In the case of Ryzen+ CPUs like the Ryzen 2700X probably it will need a BIOS update for recognize it (or at least batch dependent).

* Asus Strix 470-F:

+ Probably it will recognize the Ryzen 2700X out the box.
+ Newer chipset (altough only useful if you take advange from the situational AMD StoreMi technology, otherwise they're almost the same I think).
- After the price cut on the VI Hero the new Strix is a bit more expensive.

Greetings.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have two 1st gen Ryzen chips on hand if we decide on the CH6 1600/1700x for BIOS flash if needed.

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
I have Asus Strix 470-F .. you won't be dissapointed

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to update my original post because I just noticed that the CH6 can now be had for $30 cheaper, that being the case and if you could do it again would you choose the Strix x470 over the CH6 while the latter being cheaper by $30?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
So the CH6 shouldn't be an option then?
The CH6 should only be considered if the price is right. The CH6 is a much better option over the cheaper X470 variations. Asrock k4,gigabyte gaming ultra or gaming 5. X470 prime pro for example.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the CH6 shouldn't be an option then?
The CH6 should only be considered if the price is right. The CH6 is a much better option over the cheaper X470 variations. Asrock k4,gigabyte gaming ultra or gaming 5. X470 prime pro for example.
Well as I write this we can get a new CH6 for $150 not including $30 off for the combo which brings it down to $120 or the Strix x470 for $150 after combo or the CH7 (non Wi-Fi) if they price match for roughly $230 after combo discount and price match.

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
I need to update my original post because I just noticed that the CH6 can now be had for $30 cheaper, that being the case and if you could do it again would you choose the Strix x470 over the CH6 while the latter being cheaper by $30?
quite possibly but its actually still stupid expensive in canada

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Well as I write this we can get a new CH6 for $150 not including $30 off for the combo which brings it down to $120 or the Strix x470 for $150 after combo or the CH7 (non Wi-Fi) if they price match for roughly $230 after combo discount and price match.
In that case. Get the CH6. Can't go wrong with either. I think the ch6 is $20 more on newegg right now and then on amazon it's the same price. Sounds like you're buying it at microcenter? $120 even with tax is a good deal.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Don't waste your or your friend's money on a CH6, it's not worth it. I have owned it and did tune every single setting in the BIOS and I can tell you that it's an overpriced broken motherboard that no BIOS can fix. It's thread on this forum have close to 3.5 Mil. views and thousands of posts, and that is not because they are posting success stories about the CH6. ;)

Have replaced mine with a Gigabyte K7 and have been happy since then. :)

If you don't mind the motherboard being non ASUS then look for far better and not so overpriced motherboards such as the X370 TaiChi or X470 Gigabyte K7. If it must be an ASUS then look for the Strix X370-F because there is no big difference between the Strix X370-F and the X470-F.

Good luck with any choice you make. :)

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The x470-f is a joke imo. It doesn't even have a post code led. Which is stupid at it's price point. Strix boards are really just prime + and I wouldn't bother with them. I had the c6h on launch, it was buggy but overtime it was fine. I had a few of them too. I am currently using the c6h extreme with a 2700x. I see no issues. Considering I got the c6h extreme for the price of the x470-f it was a no brainer. There is much better support for the c6h/c7h than there will be for the x470-f.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Don't waste your or your friend's money on a CH6, it's not worth it. I have owned it and did tune every single setting in the BIOS and I can tell you that it's an overpriced broken motherboard that no BIOS can fix. It's thread on this forum have close to 3.5 Mil. views and thousands of posts, and that is not because they are posting success stories about the CH6. ;)

Have replaced mine with a Gigabyte K7 and have been happy since then. :)

If you don't mind the motherboard being non ASUS then look for far better and not so overpriced motherboards such as the X370 TaiChi or X470 Gigabyte K7. If it must be an ASUS then look for the Strix X370-F because there is no big difference between the Strix X370-F and the X470-F.

Good luck with any choice you make. :)
Doesn't necessarily have to be a Asus. I personally own the Asrock X370 Fatality Pro and have have had since almost launch along with my 1700x and love it. As for his setup narrowed down to couple boards based off build quality, VRM for future upgrade path and support, plus community support. (Asus support clearly not the best but more than I can say for Gigabyte (plus I personally think that the Gigabyte BIOS look and feel dated compared to other vendors), have not experienced Asrock support yet.)

The x470-f is a joke imo. It doesn't even have a post code led. Which is stupid at it's price point. Strix boards are really just prime + and I wouldn't bother with them. I had the c6h on launch, it was buggy but overtime it was fine. I had a few of them too. I am currently using the c6h extreme with a 2700x. I see no issues. Considering I got the c6h extreme for the price of the x470-f it was a no brainer. There is much better support for the c6h/c7h than there will be for the x470-f.
The fact that it doesn't have a LED post is bad especially for the price I agree, but... at least it does have "Q-LED's" essentially a good indicator of potential issues. Strix uses IR3355 which are better according to Buildzoid, Prime uses IR3353

·
Registered
4 Posts
x470-f bios is shockingly bad. I wouldn't recommend this board to any overclocker. It even lacks some secondary ram values needed for ram overclocking. Dog**** memory compatibility that struggles with b-die ram too.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
I would get the Asrock Taichi and skip Asus. Will be happier and have better mem support.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would get the Asrock Taichi and skip Asus. Will be happier and have better mem support.
I really considered the AsRock x470 also but in my past experiences with ASRock motherboard they're a ***** to resell as in resale value is just very bad matter fact I try to sell my ASRock x370 professional gaming motherboard two months prior to the launch of x470 and ryzen 2 till about two months after with very little and horribly bad offers. That's legitimately the only reason why I didn't put ASRock x470 taichi on the list this time around.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
Yea selling on here is a Joke. However I have got retail or better on all my old ASrock boards on ebay. X58, Z68, Z77, Z97, x79 and x99 boards Iv'e sold. my Z77 extreme 9 got $355 on fleabay not long ago. OCN users offered like $120 lol

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
I have the Stix 470-f and I am disappointed. Only with the dodgy BIOS but still... direly needs an update.

Remember when Asus f**ked up the CH? CH3 remembers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts