Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't trust the CH4 CPU socket temp. Check this out. Using a H50 I would get to around 55C. Switched to a custom water cooling loop, with a Radiator almost 4 times bigger. Switched pumps from a 450L per hour to 750L per hour. Switched from an OCZ HF-MK1 to the EK supreme HF Full copper, which is supposed to be the best water block.

All that and I still maintain a CPU socket temp of around 55C.
I think the sensor is somehow reading the motherboards surface temp. As the electricity flows through the mobo and into the CPU the mobos surface also gets hot. So there you have it, from now on I go with the core temp readings.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Did the core temps go down? From what I understand the CPU temp sensor is located directly below the CPU on the MB.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure about the core temps. I never bothered looking at them until now.

Anyway they are at 38C right now, and my CPU socket temp is at 61C. This is with LinX running and a 4.2GHz OC. I was however referring to a 4GHz OC in my prevous posts. With 4GHz I get 36C on the core temps with LinX.
I'm guessing that CPU socket temps are not something you can reduce much. You should ofcourse make sure CPU socket temp doesn't go too high, but check the core temp to see if cooling aactually made a difference.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Unless you are using an unlocked CPU like me. But CPU socket temp is generally higher than core temps so I have no problem using the socket temp for reference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts