Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my computer up and running for the first time tonight. Upon installing the ASUS monitor, I see that my motherboard is running hot and my rear chassis fan is off. Everything else is fine, but I turned the system off regardless just to be safe.

What logic does the motherboard use to decide when to activate the rear chassis fan (plugged into CHA_FAN1)? Is there a BIOS setting, or is it something else? I've seen it running while I was installing Windows less than a few hours ago; I'm pretty sure the fan itself isn't broken.

FYI: Running
Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI nForce4 Socket 939
Case: Thermaltake XASER Armor Series VA8000BWS
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2 Ghz Dual Core

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by drgnslyr
I just got my computer up and running for the first time tonight. Upon installing the ASUS monitor, I see that my motherboard is running hot and my rear chassis fan is off. Everything else is fine, but I turned the system off regardless just to be safe.

What logic does the motherboard use to decide when to activate the rear chassis fan (plugged into CHA_FAN1)? Is there a BIOS setting, or is it something else? I've seen it running while I was installing Windows less than a few hours ago; I'm pretty sure the fan itself isn't broken.

FYI: Running
Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI nForce4 Socket 939
Case: Thermaltake XASER Armor Series VA8000BWS
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2 Ghz Dual Core
Is this the guy I met at Best Buy tonight?? If so, wassup man, good to see you made it over

First things first.

Have you checked with another fan to make sure it's not a bad fan?

And that Asus board, I *believe* there are more than 1 chassis fan port, have yuo tried one of those?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Hi and WELCOME to the forum

Like Krunk said... test the connection first. If it's dead... either don't use it or RMA time.

·
Premium Member
20,531 Posts
I have the same mb and case as you. I also have 7 fans, several of which are plugged into the cha fan connectors on the mb. All of them run fine so as suggested above its either a fan or the mb.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
If the fan is cheaply made, it might be mis-wired. I had the same problems in my old case with a cheap 92mm Sunon I had. I bought it off of xoxide and then installed it. Booted up the PC, and the fan didn't spin up. Turns out the plus and minus wires had been reversed on the connector, so the diode was preventing electricity from flowing. Nothing a pair of pliars couldn't fix.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Before you go re soldering the wires..... try to go into the Bios and check for Cha Fan1 settings. In my Bios, theres the Mb Monitor which shows temps, fan speeds and so on, and on the Cpu, Case, PWR1 fans theres a disable option. Now i dont know if this is to disable the monitor thats showing speed or if its the actual fan thats disabled. Give that a try

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I did a little investigating this morning. When I power up, the fan struggles to spin, then gives up. If I push the fan with my finger gently, it will spin up to 520 RPM. Now, according to the monitor, the PSU fan itself also runs under norm, but just barely. The other fans in my chain don't seem to be having issues, and my CPU fan is running just fine.

I'm going to mess with my daisy chain fan configuration a bit...unplug things and plug them back in...if I don't get anywhere, I'll start replacing parts.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
DAISY CHAIN? Why you doin' that? That's your problem. Get a fan rheobus and hook up your fans that way. That is I'm assuming you mean daisy chain in the sense of hooking the positive of one fan to the negative of another and then plugging them all onto the mobo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a solution which I'm cautiously optimistic about:

My power supply has connectors that say "FAN ONLY", which up to now, made up the start of my fan daisy chain. I unplugged my fan chain from those connectors, and introduced my fans to the standard power daisy chain (which includes my DVD Rom and HDD). Now the chassis fan runs at 1371 RPM. My other chassis fans are also operational. My PSU fan starts at 745 RPM, but I see it steadily increase to 852 RPM and still rising after leaving my system on for 5 minutes. I can feel air coming out from the rear of the chassis; definitely a good sign. I'm now left with these questions:

- What is the purpose for the FAN ONLY PSU connectors? (I can figure this out...now where did I leave that manual...)
- Is the PSU fan speed purposefully starting low, and then increasing RPM as a function of temperature? (I think the answer is yes)
- (This one is a bit off-topic): If everything ends up working properly, is there a benefit to introducing a more advanced cooling system down the road; maybe to increase the longevity of my computer?

Anyway, I'll leave my system on and monitor all my temperatures. If they're good after a few hours, I'll play some games, and then check again. If they're still good...I'll play more games and then check things out again. If any temperature goes in the red, I'll go back to the drawing board.

Thanks to everyone for the advice; does anyone have any afterthoughts or things to warn me about before I start to get comfortable with my observations?

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by drgnslyr
I found a solution which I'm cautiously optimistic about:

My power supply has connectors that say "FAN ONLY", which up to now, made up the start of my fan daisy chain. I unplugged my fan chain from those connectors, and introduced my fans to the standard power daisy chain (which includes my DVD Rom and HDD). Now the chassis fan runs at 1371 RPM. My other chassis fans are also operational. My PSU fan starts at 745 RPM, but I see it steadily increase to 852 RPM and still rising after leaving my system on for 5 minutes. I can feel air coming out from the rear of the chassis; definitely a good sign. I'm now left with these questions:

- What is the purpose for the FAN ONLY PSU connectors? (I can figure this out...now where did I leave that manual...)
- Is the PSU fan speed purposefully starting low, and then increasing RPM as a function of temperature? (I think the answer is yes)
- (This one is a bit off-topic): If everything ends up working properly, is there a benefit to introducing a more advanced cooling system down the road; maybe to increase the longevity of my computer?

Anyway, I'll leave my system on and monitor all my temperatures. If they're good after a few hours, I'll play some games, and then check again. If they're still good...I'll play more games and then check things out again. If any temperature goes in the red, I'll go back to the drawing board.

Thanks to everyone for the advice; does anyone have any afterthoughts or things to warn me about before I start to get comfortable with my observations?
Most of the fans in your case, if hooked to the mother board, will fluctuate at times, and yeah, the PSU fan will do the same dpending on room temperature load on the power supply, ect.

To your last question, better cooling is always better. I'm going to guess you havn't gotten into overclocking right? With a better heatsink/fan, you could get that 4400+ up to FX-60 specs. I'll go to our friend Newegg and show you what I think you should get, although others may have other opinions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106061

Get that beast right there. That thing is about the best our right now, and it will keep your temps at a great level.

A good hs does a number of things. Keeps the proocessor way cooler than the stock hs does, and it allows for some good overclocks. Your 4400+ runs at stock at 2.2ghz, I'm going to be bold and say that that thing will do 2.6-2.7 easily, and the performance increase, especially with that 7800GT, will be big.

My Venice 3000 is stock at 1.8 and I run at 2.7, but it's capable of almost 3.0ghz, just to give you an idea of what AMD's are capable of

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.