Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a msi mpower Z87 and I want to change the mpower z97, I use a 4670k and when the devil canyon appears to make the switch to a 4790k or 4690k

are saying? Thank you.

·
Go Again!
5,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caos View Post

I now have a msi mpower Z87 and I want to change the mpower z97, I use a 4670k and when the devil canyon appears to make the switch to a 4790k or 4690k

are saying? Thank you.
How does your 4670k overclock? If you have a poor overclocker this may be an ok purchase.

I would wait on the reviews of the devils canyon cpu befoe spending any cash on z97.

The new chips might not overclock any better on average. They might just have better tim in which case if you already have a chip that can do 4.5-4.7ghz. I think waiting would be smart.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,946 Posts
What are you other parts?

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

What are you other parts?
Quote:

are saying? Thank you.
There is no reason on this planet for you to upgrade.

If you have a SSD, a decent GPU, and enough ram, you are set.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replys..

I OC to x43 with 1.23 vcore,with maximum temperature in battlefield 4 of 61 ° C for more than 2 hour playing

ssd 128 pro samsung 840, shappire r9 290 vapor x

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Quote:

thanks for the replys..

I OC to x43 with 1.23 vcore,with maximum temperature in battlefield 4 of 61 ° C for more than 2 hour playing

ssd 128 pro samsung 840, shappire r9 290 vapor x
You literally have absolutely no reason to upgrade what so ever.

If you are still using a 1080p screen, and you have a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket, go get a 1440p screen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As far as I know the Z87 MPOWER will support Devil's Canyon, aslong as it gets an BIOS update for it. ECS, ASUS and EVGA have already updated their BIOS's. The only 2 features that the Z97 MPOWER has is the new "ESDGuard" and M.2 support but has 8 less power phases, no Wi-Fi and no bluetooth support. Not worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuuz View Post

As far as I know the Z87 MPOWER will support Devil's Canyon, aslong as it gets an BIOS update for it. ECS, ASUS and EVGA have already updated their BIOS's. The only 2 features that the Z97 MPOWER has is the new "ESDGuard" and M.2 support but has 8 less power phases, no Wi-Fi and no bluetooth support. Not worth it.
I don't think the upgrades were for DC i think they were for haswell refresh non K. from what I understand the 4790k and 4690k will have the VRM taken off the chip and those responsibility will be handled by the mobo. The Z87 chips were not designed to handle the voltage regulation since they were designed for the haswell processor which had the on board vrm. that's why intel says DC is supported only by 9 series boards.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just replaced my p8p67 and 2600k for a z97 and a 4770k and highly regret it. The 2600k overclocked as well (4.7ghz) and ran cooler

Honestly, as others have said if your current processor is a decent overclocker it's not worth it

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsclub View Post

I don't think the upgrades were for DC i think they were for haswell refresh non K. from what I understand the 4790k and 4690k will have the VRM taken off the chip and those responsibility will be handled by the mobo. The Z87 chips were not designed to handle the voltage regulation since they were designed for the haswell processor which had the on board vrm. that's why intel says DC is supported only by 9 series boards.
wink.gif

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsclub View Post

I stand corrected partialy. as JJ said the updates have not been released. so those updates were not for DC.
My apologies! Let's just hope they will eventually do it for the people.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts