Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Overclock? What?
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a Geoscientist but I'm planning on changing careers to something that involves big data manipulation as well as coding/programming.

I wanted to get some input from some experienced folks in this industry as to where it's going and what programming languages would be the best to learn. I'm looking at brushing up on some of my math and I am currently learning python (self taught). I did take a programming class many years ago in C++ so I'm not going in to this blind.

Also in your opinion are boot camps worth it verses an actual degree? I am currently looking to possibly get into a graduate program in Data Science.

Thanks for all of your input.

Jake

·
Robotic Chemist
3,718 Posts
Python is a great choice, C++ is still widely used for working on older or lower level stuff. Boot camps are not worth it. They don't mean much to a potential employer and simply working on a personal project is probably better experience, looks better, and costs less.

I am in chemical and biotech automation, it isn't really big data, but it seems to be growing quickly. Automation is all the rage, but it isn't pure software either.

Deep learning is mostly Python or lower level GPU stuff that I don't really know much about. TensorFlow is in Python at the high level, but people use a lot of different things too. I don't know too much about other kinds of Big Data work that isn't SQL or other database stuff that isn't much fun (at least IMO), I believe it exists but I don't know what you should study to get into it.

·
Overclock? What?
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input I was also thinking Java Script and SQL would be valuable as well.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,718 Posts
SQL is very marketable, and it isn't all big data, but Java Script is for web work. It is very marketable but I don't think it is used for any heavy lifting in big data applications. I could be wrong though.

·
Top kek
3,612 Posts
There are plenty of SQLs there. Most common are MS SQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL. They all have their own small differences.

For FrontEnd - JavaScript devs are needed for the front end on 80% of websites. But you would also need to know frameworks, such as React and Angular. Also, you would still need to learn as well HTML and CSS.

For BackEnd - C++/C# or Java. Those are the big guys, with Java being most common.

Python is hailed as "easy", but its not a programming language perse, but a scripting one - although you can also create a backend and frontend powered by it.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Do you like Geo? You may want to look at something that can leverage your already established career....

Sounds to me like you might be a great candidate for some sort of green energy coding/programming for renewal resources/energy that involves data. Just off the top of my head I image people being needed to program and create highly sophisticated inverters and other solar/wind related products that are more than just you're typical "dumb" inverters....Sound interesting?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts