Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys its been a while since i have been on here but i am thinkin about changing OS for better oerformance and game play....i would also like to add RAM and maybe some other upgrades

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 Note Book
It has a AMD Sempron SI-42 at 2.10 ghz
and 3 gb Ram right now i would like to learn more on what i have and maybe get somepointers on making this lappy better

and suggestions and help will be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
if im right that sempron is a single core cpu? (i despise semprons
) if it is i would suggest win xp pro 32bit it is the best performer especially on low powered computers but if your against xp and that sempron is a dual core then win 7 ultimate 32bit is a pretty awesome OS especially when installing on laptops cause most if not all the drivers for laptops come preloaded on it which makes installation EASY as pie and another gig of ram would be cool i guess idk what you do with your laptop lol

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
As for RAM, upgrading to 4 GB (if your laptop can even handle it) wouldn't really do much for performance as the rest of the system probably can't utilize 3. I'd suggest saving your pennies and upgrading all at once.
I agree 100%.

·
Code Monkey
1,851 Posts
What do you currently run? I'm guessing from the specs of the PC that you either have Vista Home Premium or 7 Home Premium. If you have Vista, upgrade to Windows 7 Professional (64-bit is an option, but check that drivers are available first). I say Professional because you gain XP Mode then, which is a decent feature.

If you currently run 7, you should be fine with what you have.

Download CCleaner, and clean up your registry (it will also back up your registry), and take unnecessary items off of startup (If you are unsure as to whether it needs to be on startup, Google what it is (i.e. chrome.exe, wlcomm.exe) or just post back here and we'll be happy to help)

Uninstall any programs you don't use (like the preloaded rubbish that comes on most Compaq/HP machines. i speak as the owner of a HP dv6). What anti-virus software are you using?

Try using a different browser. Personally I find Google Chrome quicker than Internet Explorer, but some find Firefox quicker, and some find Safari quicker.

If you mainly use your machine for web browsing, email, word processing, etc, then try Linux. Ubuntu is a user-friendly little OS, and you can dual-boot with Vista/7 if you wish. If you want to try it first, burn the Live CD, stick it in your laptop, restart, (do check that your BIOS is set to boot from CD before HDD), and try it out. If you like it, search the web for a guide to dual-booting. You can then choose Ubuntu for basic web browsing, email, word processing, and such, and when you need to use games or Windows only programs (if you want to run some Windows programs on Ubuntu, look at WINE), you can boot into Windows instead.

Keep an eye on how hot your laptop is getting. If it's too warm, the motherboard will throttle back the CPU to stop it frying. Try to use it on hard surfaces (like a desk), or get a laptop stand. Some have cooling fans, some have designs made to take heat away, others are just for propping up your laptop. I use one from Ikea, it cost me £2.99 (about 3 or 4 dollars in the US), and it does an alright job.

Remember, if you upgrade to 4GB of RAM, you will need a 64-bit OS to see and use all of that RAM. Laptops are notoriously difficult to upgrade. You might be able to upgrade the hard disk (this part is easy, transferring everything over can be difficult), the RAM, but not much else.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i mean i dont do much on it i just got it last christmas...and idk how to check if its a single core but i think it is.....and what you mean upgrade all at once..like a new build???

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i currently have vista home basic 32 bit
and i use mozilla firefox i do run cc cleaner and disk defrag once a week
what else could i do to speed this little thing up....like different browser or settings ???
and i have not bought any anti virus or anything i just download software off internet
i think i have avg now if you could tell me what "rubbish" to delete and what all to install (like anti virus and what not) that would help

·
Registered
706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 336 View Post
i mean i dont do much on it i just got it last christmas...and idk how to check if its a single core but i think it is.....and what you mean upgrade all at once..like a new build???
lol it is a single core i checked with only 512kb of L2.... yea if you wanna game or just have a comp thats for more than just surfing the web then yes you need to upgrade and 1 more gig of ram wont help with that setup

EDIT: for the best free antivirus that wont bog down your system ditch avg and get avira. it is the best free antivirus in the universe! (ive never had a virus with it)

EDIT 2: DITCH VISTACRAP all one word.. lol definately the worst OS every made just upgrade to Win 7 ultimate 32bit and you will be set

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Quote:

Yes. For laptops, it usually not cost effective or worthwhile to upgrade them. Occasionally it will be worth it to put in a bit more RAM or a better hard drive but usually those are the only two options. I'd recommend saving the money on this tentative upgrade and either buying a better laptop down the road or building yourself a desktop. If you plan to game on it, I would recommend building a desktop for gaming and getting a simple laptop for good battery life for portability. Gaming laptops usually have poor battery life and are heavy, both things greatly reducing the effectiveness of a 'portable' computer. It is also more comfortable to game and be productive on a desktop.

EDIT: I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials but AVG is a respected antivirus as well. To speed it up, I would recommend having a look at blackviper.com's tweaking guides. http://www.blackviper.com/ Be sure to understand what you are doing before editing system services but when done correctly, you can see a noticeable increase in performance, especially with a laptop.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have thought about building one for some while but never really asked how or how hard it is but id really like to learn
if thats the case can someone help me figure out a low budget/good gaming build???

·
Registered
706 Posts
Quote:

i have thought about building one for some while but never really asked how or how hard it is but id really like to learn
if thats the case can someone help me figure out a low budget/good gaming build???
well give us a price range and we will get cracking

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Quote:

It is going to depends on a few factors. If you know which brand of processor you would like to go with, you should post in that section. If not, use the General Processor Discussion section. I would start a new thread including this information in the post:

1) Budget
2) Uses of the computer
3) Games you play
4) Brand preferences

Building a PC is a lot like LEGOs. The pieces really only fit in one place and as long as you don't force or modify anything, you won't have to worry. I can't promise you won't run into issues but in the end, you will know your computer inside and out. I always enjoy assembling PCs and watching as they go from a pile of parts to a working electronic machine.

But yeah, go make a thread for build suggestions and post the link to it here when you are finished.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
idk i mean proly not much over 500 but its ok if it is
i dont want to skimp but i dont want to pay a ton
i just want a good gaming pc
throw it at me

·
Registered
706 Posts
lol well for $500 you could build a budget gaming rig but you will most likely have to stick with a dual core just because of price which isnt a bad thing for gaming ill put somthing together for ya

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would it be better to get a "good" duo rather than a "cheap" quad or it quad always better??

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
One nice thing about and AMD build right now is you can get something like an Athlon x2 and upgrade later on to a Phenom x4, so lower end dual core to a higher end quad core, without having to change anything else if you don't want.

Also, if you could try to use correct capitalization, that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would def. like something like that which the duo proly would be good but if i wanted to make it alot faster and better down the road i could just pop a different CPU in it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts