Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you want to be a pokemon master... Er, wait wrong tutorial.

SO YOU WANT TO CHARGE YOUR PSP VIA USB? Surely you've seen big brother with his Slim & Lite PSP and how he has that fancy mancy feature, and he probably rubbed it in your face that you couldn't do it too!

Well all that's about to change.

Before you proceed, I have two questions for you. The first is are you familiar with a soldering iron? You don't have to be an expert (sheesh, I sure as hell am not one), but if you're a complete noob to soldering, a gold toilet just ain't in the cards baby! Get experienced with old junk hardware first!

The second question I have for you is simple:

Because if you snap off a ribbon cable clamp off your PSP motherboard, that's exactly what you'll WANT to do for fubaring your prized handheld!

Now if you're familiar with a soldering iron AND you're a bad enough dood, let's get to the nitty gritty. Here's what you'll need:
  • Large CLEAN workspace (essential to map out what screws went where)
  • 15w soldering iron
  • 30AWG wire
  • Other tools mentioned in THIS PSP dissasembly tutorial (follow it until you get the motherboard out)
Proceed at your own risk.

Once you've gotten the motherboard out, here's two pictures that will explain everything you need to know (this is a ONE wire operation):

Okay, see that green star? That's the far left pin on the USB port, and specifically the 5v pin (which is EXACTLY what your AC adapter supplies the battery via the DC connector). As you can see, you don't need an uber thin tip soldering iron. I have a somewhat slim one, but a slight bit of carelessness caused me to melt a bit of the black plastic there. No worries, no serious damage. Plus no one sees it.

Tin the wire (ie., wet it with some solder) and carefully tin that far left pin. Before you solder it on, route your wire around the components first.. Then bend the wire so it rests on that far left pin, heat them up and ensure it's connected. (note: do NOT leave your iron on for more than 3 seconds. I do 2 tops, and let cool for 3 seconds before reapplying... if reapplying is neccisary).

Now you're probably wondering what those red arrows are for.. That's where you SHOULD have your wire cross over from the back side to the front. As you can see, I INITIALLY thought that little corner would be good... Nope. Could be fine, but when I went to reassemble, a piece of metal was either pinching it or was close to it... So I nudged it over to where those red arrows were and it was fine. Here's the last picture you'll need:

Solder the other end of your wire to that point and you're done! Just remember to tin the pin and the wire before applying heat.

All that's left is to backtrack in the dissassembly tutorial to put everything back together (CAREFULLY) and then go kick your brother in the butt for making fun of you all these years!

Enjoy!

...wait a minute, i don't have a brother.

Original mod by wesley_huddleston1, tutorial completely revamped and awesome-ified by myself, as the original didn't have very clear pictures.

A surefire way to test to see if it works: connect your PSP via PC and power on w/o a battery. If it works, you didn't mess up.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have always been able to charge my psp fat via usb, but good tutorial for those who cant.

·
15,777 Posts
I have the slim so my post doesn't really fill in but my PSP recharges even when I play games and have the USB in.
Didn't the Phat one charge at all except when USB Mode was in?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nubz View Post
I have always been able to charge my psp fat via usb, but good tutorial for those who cant.
Same here. Anytime I transferred files to my PSP, it would start charging.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very odd, because the Fat PSP shouldn't have had that feature. However, due to reports that other Fat PSPs have been able to charge via USB got me curious...

I do happen to have two PSPs though, and both are of the PSP-1001 model. The top one is the one I have done this mod to, and the bottom is 'virgin' or otherwise untouched.

I tested both under the following scenarios:
  • While playing a game
  • While connected in USB transfer
  • While powered off
The PSP on the bottom passed none of these scenarios, but the PSP on top passed each with flying colors. My guess is you guys have a PSP with this mod done already, own a rare late model in the 1000 series of PSPs, or just own a Slim
. Fat PSPs shouldn't have this feature.

1000 series = Fat (aka Phat)
2000 series = Slim & Lite
3000 series = Brite

·
PC Evangelist
47,665 Posts
PSP Phat no matter what model should not be able to. I have used like 10 PSP Phat and none could.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nubz View Post
Nope, mine is a first model fat, no mods at all.
Well, the thing that gets me is, I have known what ZealotKi11er said to be absolute truth on the matter. Additionally, charging via USB was considered a "new" feature with the launch of the Slim. It's nothing personal, but at this point I'm going to have to call the
card on this one.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely works! Though this tutorial is geared more heavily toward the DIY enthusiasts. The pros about this mod is it's dirt cheap.. But on the other hand it will void your warranty.

It's all about what you're going for, in my opinion.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If I find a camera around here, I'll snap a few shots of my PSP doing this. Mine is completely unmodded and one of the early PSPs.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t-MaN View Post
I seem to have melted the trace off

Can I at least still transfer files without the 5v trace?
Your PSP uses a Memory PRO Duo card. Just take it out of the PSP and put it in a card reader.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitsoldier View Post
Your PSP uses a Memory PRO Duo card. Just take it out of the PSP and put it in a card reader.
My bad. The fact completely slipped my mind in my moment of panic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning to you all,

Use google translator, my English is poor :)

I followed this great guide, so good, I was a whole afternoon to transfer data and charge my PSP Fat, all via USB.

Great, phenomenal ...

Unfortunately, hopo that the loading was completed, my PSP does not detect more 'included USB cable, inserting the cable into the PSP and the PC and connect your PSP via USB option, writes: "Connect a USB cable.
I just simply reboot the PC, but unfortunately it is not so '. I said ... maybe you can not transfer the data now that it is fully charged, perhaps the 5V is not enough. I tried to fully discharge the battery, but connected by USB, I notice that you do not charge more ', the orange light, the charge, will not turn on.

I do not know if you have encountered this problem, but if you know give me some advice Thank you.

Now I do a test, I open, I remove the cable and see if it works.
I hope so because otherwise I shot :)

I hope your time in a council.

Thank you all.

Bye

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, PSPFatMan!

Strange.. I have always been able to transfer data and charge at the same time with this mod. As long as the wires are soldered exactly where they are supposed to be, it should work fine. But maybe you heated the solder pad too much?

Sometimes when you leave the iron on a trace or pin too long, it will lift it and mess it up. Maybe it was a little bit raised, and now has no contact with the motherboard?

I can't stress enough to anyone, definitely take care when applying heat to electronics!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello timxirish,

As usual Schied sorry for my poor English ...

Perhaps the only doubt would be that I used a cable slightly more 'often.

To be honest I have not disassembled my PSP but when I check everything and then I'll know.

Bye :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.