Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per title;

Have recently 'gone up' in terms of both demands and (inevitably) budget, resulting in a good number of cases coming.. and leaving the ManCave(tm).
Have only two conclusions worth sharing:

- A lot of advice here should not be taken, lol, not unless
i) one has spent the time to either comprehend the mindset (for some it's just 'disco lights!!11!', for others it's merely an outcome of perpetuating certain misconceptions)
or
ii) be, in advance, extremely knowledgeable about what they're about. Which kinda defeats the point of coming here for advice, doesn't it, lol
- And, more pertinent to the topic, that of aaaaall the cases i've had, the most enjoyable one? The most fun to work with? No, not a recent extravagant purchase, nor any of the expensive "premium" cases that preceded it. Nope.

It was this baby right here, Bitfenix's 'Prodigy M':

By far my preferred chassis; i love it. Simple, easy, allows for proper airflow (for both air and watercooling), well-thought out, cheap. Very cheap. It beats certain $400+ cases by a mile far as i'm concerned and never mind it cost me 80 euro i believe? Oh, and it didn't need modding, drilling, hacking, sawing or filing; no sir, things just worked. Love it ^^

* Edit: I hate this guy, but in case you've never laid eyes on the case before:

So how about you?

And if you're still using it, pics please :)

·
Wampa Stompa
444 Posts
Sadly I do not think I still have many pictures but a few years back I made a rig in a Cooler Master HAF X nVidia edition.
Nothing too fancy about it but it was a sweet green themed build with a Gigabye X58 G1.Assassin Motherboard with an Intel i7 990X CPU and three GTX 580's. Was by far the sweetest looking rig I've built.

This is the best picture I could find, no idea what happened to the rigs on OCN because I had a bunch of pictures on there..

Attachments

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i remember that case, had those brush-like green accents on the sides, didn't it? And a green power button to boot?

Funny you mentioned the Assassin.. i kinda had a love-n-hate relationship with that thing. It wouldn't fit anywhere!

·
Wampa Stompa
444 Posts
I think i remember that case, had those brush-like green accents on the sides, didn't it? And a green power button to boot?

Funny you mentioned the Assassin.. i kinda had a love-n-hate relationship with that thing. It wouldn't fit anywhere!
Yeah, it was a huge motherboard. The reason why I got the HAF X as it was one of the only decent cases that supported ATX-XL back then.
Here is a video Linus did on the case.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My test bench has the easiest to work with by a light year lol.
Point there, lol (never had one actually, i just use a spare mobo tray i have lying around)
But in as far as a proper chassis may be concerned? :)
@Stiltz85 yeah, that's the one alright.. i once upon a time had the 'ordinary' version, gave it to my bro at some point. He's still using it, has my old Phenom inside. On air, lol.. toasty stuff ^^

·
Registered
508 Posts
Point there, lol (never had one actually, i just use a spare mobo tray i have lying around)
But in as far as a proper chassis may be concerned? :)
To be fair, I do use a test bench as my proper case. :p Had one custom made. https://i.imgur.com/eSwTGtc.jpg

But honestly, I rarely ever change cases so I don't really have much experience. The last case I used was back in 2013 before I switched to using only test bench. It was a Cooler Master 690 II Advanced, which I started using in 2010. That one was pretty easy to work with back then, although I wish the space behind the motherboard tray would have been a few mm deeper. Most recently I helped my friend build his PC in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv. Can't say how it compares to other cases nowadays, but the only issue (not a big one) I had was mounting the 240mm radiator on the top.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be fair, I do use a test bench as my proper case. :p

Couldn't.. i can feel the OCD alarm being triggered just thinking about it, lol. What do you do about the dust, blow it every day? And what about pets, the missus, the young ones? :)
(you've got none of these and you're free as a bird, yeah, yeah, i get it.. rub it in, lol)

Don't have any experience with Phanteks cases, though i did have a very good look when last i was shopping; while i found a lot i could appreciate, the sad truth is that the lot of them (the premium ones anyhow) are very bling factor-oriented; downsides being evident to the naked eye. Not really my cup of tea.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I live alone with no pets or kids. :D

As for dust, I use one of those make-up brushes that women use to apply blush to their cheeks. Works great. :)

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,918 Posts
probably the Silverstone Raven RVZ01. Small case and a bit of a pain to get things cable managed in but super neat little case. The only thing that sucks is the requirement of an SFX/SFX-L PSU but otherwise it's a cool little case :D

currently is fulfilling HTPC duties :)

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As for dust, I use one of those make-up brushes that women use to apply blush to their cheeks. Works great. :)
Figures you live alone.. freedom is bad for you. Really. No, i mean it, honest to God. I'm sure if i try real hard, i'll even find a reason or two..
You reminded me of my doing just that once, 'borrowing' one of her brushes for something similar, i think i wanted to reach under a GPU's fan? Not sure by now. Anyway, never again, lol, just wasn't worth it ^^

probably the Silverstone Raven RVZ01
Never had a Raven myself, though not out of preference, just nobody was importing them back then sadly. It being a common thing round here, most stuff i've got to look abroad for.
* Edit: i found it now; that's the one i wanted back then, mostly 'cause of all the spinners i had: http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RV02-E&area=en&top=C

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The SilverStone SG08
Reminds me of a Coolermaster i had before i switched to the Prodigy :)
Although that one didn't have an included PS unit. How old is it btw? They have it under 'legacy'.

(yes, i like looking at cases, lol.. i'll even look at one and start thinking of what goes where, even if i don't ever plan on getting one)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts