Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you were going to build a computer to encode video, and it was on a budget, what cpu would u get for 100 or less, 2mb L3 cache quad or 6mb L3 dual core? or a tri.. any advice...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartasien
View Post

go w/ x2 550 or a 555be. they're both <100 and they can unlock (basically) into a 955/965. now thats a deal

100% agree with ^

and make sure your mobo are SB710 or SB750 chipset to be able to unlock to quad core

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with what has already been said. I have a 550 unlocked into an x4 and overclocked to 3.8. It benches a lot higher than stock 955's and WAYYYY higher than any athlon.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
You guys do realize that the unlocking is like a 50/50 chance, right?

Go for the 720 BE
. You can try to unlock it still into a quad, but if not, its a guaranteed trike with full cache.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
really get the Athlon II x4 overclock it to 3.2GHz and wow.

·
Registered
233 Posts
maybe me and my friends with 550s and 555's got lucky... every one unlocked and ran prime stable for atleast 12 hours.

Sorry if I was misinformed

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A Russian :D
View Post

really get the Athlon II x4 overclock it to 3.2GHz and wow.

This

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
IF it unlocks, based on which dual/tri you unlock MAYBE better

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have absolutely no idea if this is true or not but i saw it on a techpower up forum today "All depends of serial number. Ive read somewhere that on 550BE the 3rd letter indicate if you can unlock or not. H indicate you cant and Z you can."
Mine unlocks and the 3rd letter is a Z.

In any case you can exchange/sell if the 550/555 doesn't unlock.

·
Beyond
4,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartasien View Post
I have absolutely no idea if this is true or not but i saw it on a techpower up forum today "All depends of serial number. Ive read somewhere that on 550BE the 3rd letter indicate if you can unlock or not. H indicate you cant and Z you can."
Mine unlocks and the 3rd letter is a Z.

In any case you can exchange/sell if the 550/555 doesn't unlock.
That is not true at all. AMD isn't that stupid. A "Z" in the model number indicates an unlocked multiplier (AKA Black Edition CPU). A "X" would indicate the multiplier is locked. Below are two examples:

HDX550WFGMBOX
HDZ555WFGMBOX

The first one is a C3 Phenom II X2 550 (locked multiplier non-BE) and the second is a C3 Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition (unlocked multiplier). There is no way to guarantee it will unlock besides buying a used one known to unlock.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I too thought that was too good to be true. Bottom line, if you're ok with exchanging/selling the 550/555 if it doesn't unlock go for it. If not stick with one of those lower lvl quads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts