Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to build a non overclocked basic pc for my brother in law with parts from Microcenter today. I already have a HD and case lying around and will use the IGP on the chip so won't be needing those. What do you think? Remember it's just a basic pc for the family.. Not a gaming powerhouse.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I only have 1gb of RAM in my work machine and it is more than fine for browsing, word processing and the such. Of course I'm running XP there. I'm not sure 4gb is needed for a budget basic use machine.

You won't be able to access more than 3gb unless you have a 64bit OS anyway.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
2GB of RAM is more than adequate for a 'family' PC.

Also, that rig does not require a 500W PSU.
Neither is that OCZ very good.

EDIT: OK, seems hard to find anything better for 40 bucks.

Is Micro Center the only store you can buy from?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm kind of on a budget.. So was thinking 2 gigs and Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit OEM, which my brother in law already bought.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For that price I thought the PSU was adequate. Just don't feel like having to wait for shipping from newegg. And any bad parts from Micro I can just bring them back for an exchange no questions asked.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Yes, the PSU is adequate, and 2GB of RAM is definitely sufficient for normal use.

Unlikely the PSU will break down. It's an OCZ, nothing stellar, not the best, but it will work for a low load level like yours.

·
Overclocked by Jesus
4,759 Posts
That's a nice build for the $. I'd suggest 4GB as well, but you will probably not need it for what you are doing. Everyone hates on OCZ, but honestly my 600w has been going strong for a year with no issues. I really think they are fine for what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Even a poorly made PSU will probably suffice, since you will likely not load it near capacity. However it would be a better idea IMO to buy a high quality unit with lower wattage to ensure that it will work for many years of dusty disrepair.

4gb will double the cost of the RAM, and you will lose 25% of it to the 32bit OS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts