Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a computer for overclocking. There are some years since I had any interest for hardware now so I need some help to find right hardware.

Around 600$ is my budget.

I'm thinking about the Amd II x2 phenom 555. As i understand this CPU can OC and it is possible to open core. but this i just one some of them.

Space and ram is no high priority. Because i can upgrade later.

Thanks for all help

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
If space and memory aren't an issue then why don't you just get a 1055t? they're overclocking beasts. I would just get that and skimp on other things that you don't need to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhudson View Post
If space and memory aren't an issue then why don't you just get a 1055t? they're overclocking beasts. I would just get that and skimp on other things that you don't need to.
6 core? This is going to be a gaming computer. will I get use of all the 6 core? And witch motherboard would be a good match?

·
Registered
739 Posts
get a really good dual core most can still play alot of games, and most can overclock like monsters, can think of any of the top my head but i heard a few phenoms can unlock cores? with the correct motherboard?

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
i'd go w/ a x2 555, very good bang for buck... especially if you can unlock cores

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are testing the 1055t here http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...rclocking.html

But it looks like the core i5 750 is a better cpu for clocking and it is 10/20$ cheaper.
I'm not really sure if it is nessesery with 5\\6 cores or 2 or 4 is enough.

But i need a motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram, psu, harddriver. But maybe i can start with a good cpu, motherboard and psu and upgrade later.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Attachment 172598

Could probably work the price down with combo deals/different motherboard/whatever, but there's a quick gaming build that will probably do just as well, if not better than mine.

Edit: Whoops, PSU is cutting it close for heavy OCing. Might want to grab a cheaper mobo and upgrade the PSU to a 500-600w.
LL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortunex View Post
Attachment 172598

Could probably work the price down with combo deals/different motherboard/whatever, but there's a quick gaming build that will probably do just as well, if not better than mine.

Edit: Whoops, PSU is cutting it close for heavy OCing. Might want to grab a cheaper mobo and upgrade the PSU to a 500-600w.
Thanks. The Cpu looks like a good overclocker. In a test they made 4Mhz with stock cooling what can i expect with a good cooler? maybe water?

But how is it with graphic cards? are there any good card to clock?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by demal View Post
Thanks. The Cpu looks like a good overclocker. In a test they made 4Mhz with stock cooling what can i expect with a good cooler? maybe water?

But how is it with graphic cards? are there any good card to clock?
There's an i3 club around here on the forums, many people hit between 4.0 and 4.5GHz, you could probably go higher with water.

And the GTX460 is a GREAT overclocker. Mine's at 925 core and 1125 memory from 675/900 (37% core, 25% memory).

·
OG AMD
8,878 Posts
Another option
[/URL][/IMG]
I would take the X3 over the i3 dual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what i consider now, but just come with more

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition - 126$
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - 272$
Intel Coreâ„¢ i3 Dual Processor i3-530 - 163$
AMD Athlon II X3 445 - 106$
I cant find the x3 740 for sale i Norway

For me the x2 55 and i3-530 look like overclockers. But maybe 2 cores is to litle?
For me it looks like in some games you can earn much with 4 cores, and maybe there just will be more and more games who use 4 cores..

The gtx 460 look like a good overclocker too, but it would be fun with a card that it's possible to Vmod and get some really good results

I think the hd5850 is a little expensive. 378$
I need a good motherboard for OC too. The only alternativ now is the the GA-u55 for Intel and gigabyte ga 870a ud3 for amd. How are these motherboard on overclocking and can they open locked cores?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by adzsask View Post
X3 over an I3 duel ??? why? it is as fast as an X4 unlocked.
Is the i3 530 fast as the the x3 or x2 555 with 4 cores?

I'm really considering the i3 now. It's the best overclocker as i can see.

And i think the i3 530 clocked to over 4Mhz and the gtx460 overclock will be a really good gamer computer. I want to just start with stock cooling and maybe go for some watercooling. I have looked at some diy watercooling projects, and I want to try to make something. But I'm interested in some good guides and stuff like that, maybe some forums.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
From what I understand, there are many games that see a benefit on a 3 core over a 2 core setup. In those games, it will take a lot of overclocking on the dual core to overcome what the 3 core could have delivered without breaking an overclocked sweat.

In all things, there are going to be tradeoffs, if you just want to be able to OC a lot for the sport of OCing, go intel i3 to see the big numbers. If you want the setup to translate to real world performance, looking at the specific applications and the way they are going to use hardware is important.

Eric

1 - 20 of 24 Posts