Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about building a cheap computer dedicated to folding. I chose a Pentium D based system because of the lower cost for the whole system, here is a list of the parts I have come up with;<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Sunbeam IC-XSD-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail $29.99<br>
NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive - OEM $5.79<br>
Western Digital Caviar WD400BB 40GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive -OEM $39.99<br>
LG Black E-IDE/ATAPI DVD-ROM Multi Read Drive Model GDR-8164BK - OEM $16.99<br>
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM $5.99<br>
G.SKILL 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory $48.99<br>
ECS 865G-M8 (V1.0) Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 865G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $44.99<br>
Intel Pentium D 915 Presler 2.8GHz $135.00<br><br>
Total = $327.73<br>
Shipping $59.71 (this will be shipping to an APO so most places will not ship for free)</td>
</tr></table></div>
I chose a 900 series Pentium D because of heat and the fact that it will always be on. I didn't choose a 805 because of the possibility of it running hotter at the same MHz as the 915 and also I am not buying quality overclocking parts.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Not bad, but I always stay clear from ECS motherboards. Then again, it is very cheap but try and find an ASUS because they are assured to work.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Looks good, and while I echo staying away from ECS, I would also suggest that if you don't plan to overclock this folder much if at all, you can get a E6300 C2D for only $45 more, and there are a couple cheap boards that support it, around the price of the board you listed.<br />
<br />
Depends on the budget of course, but might be something to look into due to the close prices and vast performance difference.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Why get a floppy drive? Are you going to do any BIOS flashing or RAID setups?

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Also you don't need a dvd drive. You could just borrow your current rigs drive to install xp then just leave it folding.<br />
<br />
If you could I would get the E6300 for a little more, a much better folder.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>Niko-Time</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">If you could I would get the E6300 for a little more, a much better folder.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>True, but it would increase the cost by a lot. He would need a Conroe supported board and DDR2 memory, both of which cost a lot more than what he is getting. The 915 will be a great folding chip.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>RyGuy</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">True, but it would increase the cost by a lot. He would need a Conroe supported board and DDR2 memory, both of which cost a lot more than what he is getting. The 915 will be a great folding chip.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>That is what I was thinking. (DDR2 does cost a little more)<br />
<tr>

Why get a floppy drive? Are you going to do any BIOS flashing or RAID setups?

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Just in case and it is only $5<br />
<tr>

Also you don't need a dvd drive. You could just borrow your current rigs drive to install xp then just leave it folding

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>I thought about that, I also considered making a diskless folder (no hard drive) and running linux (I have read a good tut on it) but I can't get folding running on linux as it is so I don't want to attempt it at this time and the drive is only $17 and it will save a few headaches.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>sleepy127</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">I am thinking about building a cheap computer dedicated to folding. I chose a Pentium D based system because of the lower cost for the whole system, here is a list of the parts I have come up with;<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
I chose a 900 series Pentium D because of heat and the fact that it will always be on. I didn't choose a 805 because of the possibility of it running hotter at the same MHz as the 915 and also I am not buying quality overclocking parts.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Hi sleepy,<br />
<br />
Good stuff overall. Just a thought though. If you decide to upgrade any of those parts at all, I would suggest the M/B. I've done the same thing as you, built cheap folding rigs, but I've found that $50.00 or less M/B's are for just "normal" web surfing, and desktop use and not much else. <br />
<br />
I have used several M/B's like you. An ECS, Gigabyte and Asrock. Of the 3, I like the Asrock the best for under or around $50.00. Adding a few more dollars would net you a better and possibly more stable M/B with the same socket. And as you progress up the overclock.net ladder of folders, you might want more "power" in the future... Again just a thought.<br />
<br />
I hope this helped, :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts