Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a light ultra thin and wondering if the Neo processor and 3410 would do a good job for light work.

Basically, maybe some video encoding and light gaming. I've read reviews on it and it seems to be faster than the atom but it is quite a bit slower than a traditional low power dual core.

My previous laptop is in my sig, and for the work I do on it, it does it just fine. But when it comes to gaming it is just really sluggish. Even for the games that don't even require a lot of power. I'm not thinking of playing games like cod4 and crysis on it on high settings, maybe low for cod 4 at 640x480, but mainly the same settings for games like counter-strike 1.6 or half-life and maybe half-life 2 at low settings.

I won't be able to order online, but will be able to get one at staples, bestbuy, and or futureshop. Which pretty much sucks, but still can find decent laptops.

Basically what I'm looking for:
- School computer for word, internet, e-mail.
- Portable on the lap and carrying around for trips.
- Good keyboard that is easy to use and not one that it mutlilingual.
- Relatively small but not larger than 13in or so.
- Light gaming for past time like game and maybe light competitive play when I go over to a friends house. So basically source games and mods.
- Decent battery life for internet and word. Preferably over 3-4 hours.

Anyways, thanks for any help, I think this one would do pretty decent.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0125715&catid=

I know I can get a lot better for cheaper, but after using a x3100 i doubt a x4500 from intel would do much better. The driver support is really bad where it doesn't do old games as well as it should.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
anything but a dell m1330 mate, i got a m1330 for college and light gaming, ive had the mobo replaced 3 times.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220572 seems ok price with a dedicated gfx card

EDIT

sorry i only read the title, the HP looks good but, abit cheap, and the processor is only a 1.6 but a good gfx card

• Rep+
Reactions: Domino

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmchugh
View Post

anything but a dell m1330 mate, i got a m1330 for college and light gaming, ive had the mobo replaced 3 times.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220572 seems ok price with a dedicated gfx card

EDIT

sorry i only read the title, the HP looks good but, abit cheap, and the processor is only a 1.6 but a good gfx card

no worries
thnx for the reply

Ya, I like the rest of the system, but the cpu has me a bit iffy. It's significantly faster than the atom, but not until it comes to multitask, and then it preforms the same. I don't do any heavy work on it so I think it'll be okay.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
That baby isn't going to be able to do much gaming. But if light and portable is your priority, then that's your choice. Can't comment on that specific model though...

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezixn View Post
That baby isn't going to be able to do much gaming. But if light and portable is your priority, then that's your choice. Can't comment on that specific model though...
Ya, the single core neo isn't much faster than the atom, but significantly.

I couldn't get it now that my laptop is fixed. So everything is good. But as most games don't use multi cores, and the videos I've watched of in game rendering on that thing, wow, it is quite amazing. light gaming, any game, low to medium settings with over 45fps on a slim is pretty awesome.

Want sooooo bad.....but i doubt i could sell this laptop for 799.99 even though it still has over 1 year of complete care warranty left : D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts