Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a new heatsink and fan to lower the temp of my cpu. it currently runs in the 50-60°c rangei would like to drop the temp by atleast 10°c so i can overclock further and stay stable. I already have some artic silver 5 thermal compound but i havnt tried it on my stock heatsink yet. i was wondering if i could find a good heatsink for between $20-$30 or should i stick with stock and use artic silver 5

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B1u3D3ath

I am wanting to get a new heatsink and fan to lower the temp of my cpu. it currently runs in the 50-60°c rangei would like to drop the temp by atleast 10°c so i can overclock further and stay stable. I already have some artic silver 5 thermal compound but i havnt tried it on my stock heatsink yet. i was wondering if i could find a good heatsink for between $20-$30 or should i stick with stock and use artic silver 5

Your best bet is to get the Zalman VF-7000cu or ALCU, for that price range. For about 40 you can pickup a xp-90c or something like that, which would be a big improvement.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
the xp-90c,big typhoon,and scythe ninja's are the best air coolers out, and in my opinion, yes they are worth it... the cooler the cpu the better...and while waitng for the cooler to arrive i say put some as5 on the stock hsf and it will give u about 2-3c drop in temps...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i looked at the xp-90c on newegg and it is like $68 not counting shipping and it doesnt come with a fan either i have seen alot of good reviews about the big typhoon but the say it is huge will it fit in my Aspire X-Dreamer 2 case

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

i looked at the xp-90c on newegg and it is like $68 not counting shipping and it doesnt come with a fan either i have seen alot of good reviews about the big typhoon but the say it is huge will it fit in my Aspire X-Dreamer 2 case

Sheesh, they go for around 40 used...new, they are a rip..
Humm, 70 is too much, I would say get the Zalman I mentioned above.. It will keep your processor cool, but will lose a few deg. to the xp-90c or the big T.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Hi B1u3D3ath,

Here's a link to the heatsink factory. http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/Therm...p-1-c-251.html

I just purchased the XP-90 (alum) for $27.99 USD. I have a Zalmon 7000Cu, but I'm very disappointed with it. Not much better than the stocker, maybe 3-5degC. From folks here at overclock and reading reviews, I believe this will be the heatsink for you and right in your price range. As you can see from my Cp we have similiar systems.

I'll be getting my heatsink tomorrow and I'll post back my results, if you'd like?

EDIT: I went with the XP-90 alum version for 2 reasons, weight and price. I wanted to use the stock retaining system and I did not see much of a difference with temps when compared directly to the XP-90C at this link: http://www.xtremeresources.com/modul...wcontent&id=93

I hope this helps,

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid

Yeah I was somewhat underwhelmed by my Zalman--I had hoped for more cooling power--but what I got was slightly cooler and virtually silent--which is nice unless you are looking for raw power...

Hi CyberDruid,

At the risk of going a little off topic. What is "StormWBZerexTrannyCooler"?? I tried a couple of searches but those came back to here. So... Your undername says you watercool. Is the StormWB the system with Zerex antifreeze as coolant and a tranny cooler for a radiator??

Just wondering, :)

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I jsut invested in an XP-90 with a Panaflo fan myself...should be here anytime. If you check around in some online stores you can get one for a steal. I got the Sinc and Fan for just under 50 bucks. That is a little over your budget but if it's for computer safety, you can never pay too much

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
XP-90C and XP-90 don't have much temperature difference.

Get this XP-90. It comes with a fan. Newegg has some of the worst pricing on HSF, so don't make a purchase there.

Or do what Kopi did. But I'm quite happy with my XP-90 with the stock Thermalright fan. It keeps my chip with this overclock at 44*C idle and high 50s load.

However if you don't mind the noise, just buy a Vantec Tornado. A 92 mm one. That's gonna be a killer.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 455buick

Hi CyberDruid,

At the risk of going a little off topic. What is "StormWBZerexTrannyCooler"?? I tried a couple of searches but those came back to here. So... Your undername says you watercool. Is the StormWB the system with Zerex antifreeze as coolant and a tranny cooler for a radiator??

Just wondering, :)

Uh, that's a wc setup, it should read Storm waterblock (guessing G5)/ Zerex (antifreeze)/Transmission cooler...but he odviously was a little out of space. Tranny coolers are popular radiators... cheap and efficient.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

Uh, that's a wc setup, it should read Storm waterblock (guessing G5)/ Zerex (antifreeze)/Transmission cooler...but he odviously was a little out of space. Tranny coolers are popular radiators... cheap and efficient.

Hi Wowza and Thanks!

That's what I thought too. Sorry for the late reply, but I was just getting ready to shut everything down and go to bed. You know us "older" guys can't stay up past 10:30pm. It's makes getting up for work a real bummer if we do... lol

Thanks again, :)

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 455buick

Hi Wowza and Thanks!

That's what I thought too. Sorry for the late reply, but I was just getting ready to shut everything down and go to bed. You know us "older" guys can't stay up past 10:30pm. It's makes getting up for work a real bummer if we do... lol

Thanks again, :)

no problem, on more thing, in your rig profile, zalman is spelled with an a, no o.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

no problem, on more thing, in your rig profile, zalman is spelled with an a, no o.

Thanks once again! I corrected the spelling mistake... I'm glad Zalman didn't see it.. LOL

Take care, :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts