1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
It has a max head of 5 ft, that is not very good. I would suggest against it. Petsmart sells Mag 3's for about $35.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what's the optimal head rating for a watercooled rig?
how's this? http://www.customaquatic.com/customa...id=WP-TMPH1400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

It has a max head of 5 ft, that is not very good. I would suggest against it. Petsmart sells Mag 3's for about $35.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
The maxi-jet 1200 is a little more expensive and is rated for 305GPH/6' of head if I remember right. I think it would be better. 6' of head is on the low side, so don't use other parts that are optimized for higher flow rates.

Both are submersible, and get a little overheated if not submerged.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Yeah, that pump should work decently. Many people use them, they just arent the most reliable pumps out there. The TC-4 is a decent waterblock too. On average, it will perform about 3-5 degrees C warmer than a TDX or RBX. For a budget system though, those components would work pretty well. It would totally own an Aquarius 2. Oh, for a water cooling system, the recommended pump head is about 8-10 feet minimum.

• Rep+
Reactions: Burn

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thanks a lot lando... meh i hate budgets... but anyway, i could hypothetically go with a pump w/ 8 feet of head, itll just b more expensive... and also, im going with 1/2 " tubing, if i put a reducer on the pump to go from 3/4 to 1/2, will it slow performance down a lot? my neighbor works in plumbing supplies, so he could get some for me... but would it slow down performance that much?

Thanks lando

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atvkid1090

but would it slow down performance that much?

Thanks lando

Nope, shouldn't be a problem at all. Your welcome.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

http://www.customaquatic.com/customa...=WP-TMP2100-UL... would that one be better? cuz it seems like a better pump for the extra money.. i mean its got 8 feet of head nd all...

That doesnt look too bad. I don't know how accurate their specs are, since I have not seem anyone use that pump before, but hey, I would give it a shot since it's so cheap. Definately worth a try at least.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

@ least its better than the one i was looking at... woohoo, and not a bad price increase...

Yeah, and if you get that pump, please let me know how it works.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

def will do lando, thanks for everything!

No problem! And when you are ready to set up your watercooled system, let me know, I have an extra heatercore I will sell for cheap, or trade for something. Heck, using that pump and the TC-4 waterblock, you could probably stay under a hundred bucks total; that would be AWESOME!!!

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i like the heatercore idea, you have any pics of it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

No problem! And when you are ready to set up your watercooled system, let me know, I have an extra heatercore I will sell for cheap, or trade for something.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

i like the heatercore idea, you have any pics of it?

It's just like this one from DangerDen, but it doesnt have barbs on it. Not a problem though, tubing can be stretched over the piping. http://www.dangerden.com/images/heat...core_large.gif

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
sorry to interject, but someone please explain to me what "head" is and the effects it'll have...I'm in the market for a water cooling system within about the next 4 months or so...

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
"Head" is the vertical height a pump can push water with the recommended tubing size. So if a pump has a head of 10', it can push water straight up in a 10' tube. Any more than that and it will stop pumping. In a watercooled system, when you add waterblocks and radiators, this adds to the restiction of the system, effectively increasing the head load put on the pump.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

sorry to interject, but someone please explain to me what "head" is and the effects it'll have...I'm in the market for a water cooling system within about the next 4 months or so...

i'll gladly explain, head is the height that a pump can push water to. for instance a pump w/ 8 feet of head can push water eight feet above the pump... sometimes, you can get it to go even higher, but it's not a big improvement... and plus, the higher the pump pushes the water, the lower teh gpm (flow rate) becomes... hope this helps, feel free to post if you have anymore questions.

ATVkid1090

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Yeah, thanks, that clears that up alot, I thought it had something to do with air in the pump or somethin...not sure why
anyway, repage for you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts