Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheap, but reliable wireless adapter for my computer. My dad has a draft Wireless-N router, but the internet connection is easily bottle necking it, so I'm thinking I can go down to a G adapter and not feel a thing speed wide.

I'm looking for PCI cards rather then adapters plugged into a USB cable sitting on top of my computer. Yes, this is part of my War on Cables.

I'm currently looking at this one, but if people can suggest better with not going much higher then that in cost, that would be helpful. My budget may change before the week is out, so it's ok to fudge on the price somewhat. But if it doesn't change, is this adapter going to work fine for me?

·
Software Dev
270 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe if I had the extra money. I'm trying to squeeze as much into $110 as I possibly can. If I got more money later this week, yeah, I'd look into a Wireless N card.

I also wouldn't mind a lower profile of the card it self, as it's going to replace an unused USB card I have in my computer right now, and it's obstructing the airflow for my video card.

·
Software Dev
270 Posts
Well...unfortunately with your price range doing anythings going to be difficult...if there's a problem with airflow i would just go ahead and get a usb adapter instead of an internal as they wont get that much smaller than the cards i linked.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with using an external at the moment is my dad owns the one I have, and, well, it's next on the chopping block, so to speak. I would like to keep N of course, and if I get more money by the end of the week, I'll probably go with the cheaper of the two.

·
Software Dev
270 Posts
Well if at all possible i would go with N whether it being an external or internal card. I have found it to be much better than G...of course an ideal solution would be running a wire, but im assuming thats not feasible. Also another suggestion would be to use an old router as a bridge. For that it would either have to be a special router, or you could possibly load dd-wrt on it(open source router firmware) if your interested if it is possible let me know the model of a router and i can check.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm not looking to go faster, my dad wont pay for faster internet. Yeah, going wired is probably best, but I'm not drilling holes in a house I hope to not be in before 2010 is out. I know G is still faster then what my dad is paying for, so I'm still wondering, assuming my budget doesn't get any higher, if the card I pointed out will work just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts