Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at this External 2TB here.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Western-Di...Drive/13055863

which seems to be the cheapest one I would buy without skimping on quality. The problem is it's more expensive at Best Buy ($169 I believe), and I have to order it online from Walmart. Has anyone seen any 2TB Externals that I could pick up from a store that are the same price? I'm trying to stay away from any of the 2TB ones that have any software installed, just want a straight up drive.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by westfall90 View Post
I've been looking at this External 2TB here.
www.walmart.com

which seems to be the cheapest one I would buy without skimping on quality. The problem is it's more expensive at Best Buy ($169 I believe), and I have to order it online from Walmart. Has anyone seen any 2TB Externals that I could pick up from a store that are the same price? I'm trying to stay away from any of the 2TB ones that have any software installed, just want a straight up drive.
Do you mean you have to order online from Best Buy?

I don't see your problem.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah that is fine. I'd honestly say take the drive out of the enclosure and just put it in your PC via SATA. It will be much faster.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Quote:

The problem is it's more expensive at Best Buy ($169 I believe), and I have to order it online from Walmart.
So order it from WalMart. What's the problem?

Quote:

I'm trying to stay away from any of the 2TB ones that have any software installed, just want a straight up drive.
Just disable autorun and repartition/format it before you use it. You aren't obliged to use the provided software.
..a

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard some of the software/backup crap is encoded in the firmware on some drives? Like the WD MyBook, I would just have to format it and it would become a empty 2TB, no software or backup crap?

and I don't want to order online, I don't do internet transactions, I want to pay cash at a store.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:

I've heard some of the software/backup crap is encoded in the firmware on some drives? Like the WD MyBook, I would just have to format it and it would become a empty 2TB, no software or backup crap?

and I don't want to order online, I don't do internet transactions, I want to pay cash at a store.
Aww...I haven't had one bad thing happen to me ordering off the internet and that includes over $1k in computer parts.

But if you insist, formatting should get rid of anything physically stored on the drive but not firmware.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The WD MyBook does have its software coded directly into the firmware. When you plug in the drive it is seen as a virtual cd and run as such.

However, it is relatively easy to disable this "feature" - and aside from that the WD MyBook 2TB externals are the best currently on the market in my opinion.

To disable the virtual cd bit you need to update the firmware (even the new ones don't come with a firmware version that can be disabled) and then run a utility to disable the drive. Both are WD utilities and available on their site. I'm unable to get links at the moment but if you're interested PM me and I'll send you the files. (or just google them)

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by westfall90
View Post

and I have to order it online from Walmart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by westfall90
View Post

1.) You're contradicting yourself
2.) So go to a Walmart!

There are ways to get rid of the backup software and crap.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
or you can just buy a regular 2TB drive and use it via SATA which is MUCH faster than freakin' USB 2

and it will be cheaper because you dont have to waste cash on the encosure.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
I have this drive (the 1.5Tb version).

It is pre-formatted, but it does NOT have any of the usual WD crap on it.

You can buy it at Fry's for a pittance more than you can get it at WalMart online. Amazon sells the 1.5Tb for $109, I got mine at Fry's for $111, after tax.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I ordered some WD internal drives from NewEgg for $109 this weekend. Not sure if they still have the deal going. I was shopping around for a while.

I have a internal extra backup drive as well as an external one. I have had some drives fail and loose info, a long time ago. Not any more.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relevant Wing
View Post

ESata Drives have better speeds externally if you looking for a speedy drive.

Might want to go with an esata drive if you can find a reliable one.

I bought a WD mybook connected via esata and the computer didnt even recognize it. From the reviews, most people have similar problems.

I do have this WD element in 1.5tb and it's extremely reliable without any annoying software required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts