Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dev
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, what is the cheapest 2011-V3 socket cpu I can get for a small mATX build that will be a Multimedia PC?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The 1620V3 is the cheapest, around $300. The 4790K beats it in everything but PCIe lanes though.

Do you already have a 2011-3 motherboard or something?

·

13,000 Posts
E5-1620 V3 like said above for $270 on ebay. But have to hope it works on your board that you'll be using

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-E5-1620V3-3-5GHZ-10MB-Smart-Cache-TDP-140W-SR20P-Quad-Core-Processor-/111944809470?hash=item1a106e3bfe:g:pmkAAOSws4JW8c0R

Or a 5820k for $330 that will work on x99 boards no problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Intel-Core-I7-5820K-Processor-3-3GHz-6-Core-LGA-2011-v3-BX80648I75820K-/201553557949?hash=item2eed8739bd:g:OzsAAOSwU~FWEB~t

Chances are good that the 1620 V3 will work on a lot of boards though imo.

·
Dev
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have a motherboard I upgraded my evga x99 micro to a sabertooth x99. Building a secondary system for a workout room. I have case, PSU, ssd, monitor, speakers, just need a cpu and ram plus gpu.

Or I could sell the board and get something cheaper like z87/97 and dual core.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You can snag a 5820k on hardwareswap for pretty cheap.

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
I think the bigger question is why would you need a server CPU for this?
headscratch.gif
If you have the motherboard already, that's a bit different, but even then an HTPC sans gaming does fine on something like AMD AM1 system or an A4-5000 (same silicon, different socket) or a Bay Trail board - try the Q1900 or J1900 - from Intel.

The cheapest thing out there based on MSRP is the $202 E5-1603 v3. It's in effect an i5 (four cores, no Hyperthreading) with 4MiB extra L3. Ebay is always an option of course, but be careful if the listing says "QS" or "ES" or if it's from China.

·
Dev
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

headscratch.gif
If you have the motherboard already, that's a bit different, but even then an HTPC sans gaming does fine on something like AMD AM1 system or an A4-5000 (same silicon, different socket) or a Bay Trail board - try the Q1900 or J1900 - from Intel.

The cheapest thing out there based on MSRP is the $202 E5-1603 v3. It's in effect an i5 (four cores, no Hyperthreading) with 4MiB extra L3. Ebay is always an option of course, but be careful if the listing says "QS" or "ES" or if it's from China.
what you think is best selling the mobo and getting something less powerful? I don't need it for gaming is just for shows.

·
Dev
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyL4 View Post

You can snag a 5820k on hardwareswap for pretty cheap.
that's not bad idea. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAngel View Post

what you think is best selling the mobo and getting something less powerful? I don't need it for gaming is just for shows.
So you do have one on hand.
tongue.gif

I can't really speak for Jaguar's or Bay Trail's decoding power since, to be honest, I haven't used them. AM1 is a solid platform according to those who have used it though. I can say that my 7870K handles any sort of basic task - videos, web browsing, office type stuff - with no hiccups, and that's after being downclocked. Under $300 for the new and unused APU, good motherboard, and memory, plus you get some cash back from the motherboard sale. Used parts would be even less, especially if you go with the 5000 or 6000 series APUs and slower RAM (since you won't be playing games).

On the other hand, the LGA-2011 v3 system would still require a CPU for $130 minimum (according to Ebay prices) and a separate GPU (could probably get away with a $50 or less GPU to be fair; check EVGA's B-stock for some interesting refurbs), plus you lose out on a mini ITX option for a cute li'l set top box-type case. I guess it would have marginally better resale value, but computer parts lose value so quickly that, by the time it's obsolete, it'll be close to worthless.

·
Guru
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAngel View Post

Yes I have a motherboard I upgraded my evga x99 micro to a sabertooth x99. Building a secondary system for a workout room. I have case, PSU, ssd, monitor, speakers, just need a cpu and ram plus gpu.

Or I could sell the board and get something cheaper like z87/97 and dual core.
When it comes to consumer market, those lower-end LGA2011v3 CPUs are the biggest rip-off known to mankind.

If you want strong ST performance, you go for i5Ks from Haswell towards Skylake (preferably latter one).
If you want server like MT performance matching 5820K, you go for LGA1366 $170 board and $100 Xeon X5670 then overclock it.
If you want strong ST (better than Xeon, but possibly a little worse than i5K) and great but not crazy MT, you go for i7Ks.

·
Dev
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

headscratch.gif

I was on my phone can't answer you better before. My Sabertooth X99 has the 5820k, I do audio recording, programming, gaming, video editing, photo editing etc... Is why that machine has the 5820k at a minimum and don't need 40 lanes as I am not planning to do dual graphic cards.

The second system will be a multimedia PC in a workout room, so I already have a 2011-V3 motherboard but I may end up selling it and grabbing a motherboard, ram and cpu all at once for that room or even a small little unit to do what I want it to do.
biggrin.gif

·
Dev
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fix that issue I setup a laptop with some speakers and so on so I am all good now going to sell the mobo. Thanks!~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts