Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend managed to get a Reference Sapphire HD 4870 512MB for £20 the other day! BARGAIN!!!

BUT his PSU atm is a Casecom 500w, with not enough ampage to actually run the card....

I was just wondering, what is the cheapest PSU he could get that would run it, it has to be in the UK and it only has to power a Pentium E6300 and 2GB of ram as well..

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Tell him he need to upgrade the rest of his rig to get the full power out of that GPU. NEVER CHEAP OUT ON A PSU!!! tell him to buy a nice quality 700W unit and be happy for the next couple years.

·
Registered
356 Posts
That is a bargin, I'd bag a Corsair CX400W and I agree with JonnyFenix, most important part of a rig the PSU.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyFenix View Post
Tell him he need to upgrade the rest of his rig to get the full power out of that GPU. NEVER CHEAP OUT ON A PSU!!! tell him to buy a nice quality 700W unit and be happy for the next couple years.
^^This. That pentium, unless seriously overclocked, will be a massive bottleneck to the 4870 - and you will want to get something like an antec 650 earthwatts.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You see, If I do upgrade down the line, I'd most likely give me stuff to him so he'd get a quad core, so I'm not sure about 400w, what about

Antec Basiq Plus 550W

·
Registered
860 Posts
Dude. Why must you cheap out on the PSU? Its the heart of every rig.Having a cheap PSU is like having a heart of a 90 years old sick man.

Back to the topic, my Seasonic M12ii 430w can power cards from HD4850>4870>gtx460>current HD4890. Its even reported that it can SLI two HD4870. And it cost me 80bucks 2nd hand.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know, but he only gets £7 a week so money isn't the best flow for him.... bearing in mind he's still in full-time education...

So a nice 400-500w??

·
Registered
657 Posts
Corsair HX620

5 Year warranty, rock solid quality - job done. Would be well worth saving up for!

EDIT: You can find some great deals on used PSUs on eBay. Provided that you're buying a good quality unit in the first place you shouldn't have many worries about the fact that they've been used. I picked up my Corsair HX620 for £50 and it's been running beautifully. Also, the 1000W PSU I'm running at the moment was free!

This: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsair-HX680W...b#ht_500wt_896

And this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsair-HX650W...6#ht_500wt_896

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
He definitely doesn't need more than 400W, that 4870 won't even pull more than 300 at the most with all the other components assuming the PSU is a good build.

If he wants more to future proof then go for it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffaruni View Post
BUT his PSU atm is a Casecom 500w, with not enough ampage to actually run the card....
Im glad you said amperage and not wattage. I think people put way to much into their wattage rants.
This PSU Wattage calculator puts his system use at roughly 270Ws, recommending a 320W minimum PSU. A good quality 400 or 420 should work out nicely for him.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maris View Post
u should be actually fine with a hx 450w or if u think about future get 2x AX 1200W corsair psu's
Erm, quad-SLi 480's won't even get close to just one 1200W psu.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SecrtAgentMan View Post
Erm, quad-SLi 480's won't even get close to just one 1200W psu.
Quad SLI draws just over 1500w so indeed two PSU's would be needed, but I don't think he's EVER going to be drawing that sort of power....

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffaruni View Post
Quad SLI draws just over 1500w so indeed two PSU's would be needed, but I don't think he's EVER going to be drawing that sort of power....
This review shows them using only 1 1200W AX so I'm assuming it gets up to 1000 maybe 1100w at a full load if that much.

Only review I could find on the fly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts