Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm planning on getting a opty 144, biostar TForce mATX, and, eventually, a 7800GT. Only problem is, after the opty and biostar, I have almost no money. Will a 300W [email protected] even run the computer? If it can, then I can hold off the PSU until I have money and can get a good one. But I'm guessing my PSU can't handle it, so I'm going to need the cheapest possible PSU there is, but will give me enough power to OC and eventually hold up a 7800GT as well.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
This one is $85, but will run your system very well and is SLI certified. No, your power supply will not even boot your system. Also, remember that when a power supply blows, it usually takes several parts with it, so be careful.

http://xoxide.com/sunbeampsu.html

• Rep+
Reactions: kevin_tsoi2000

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh, money....that I don't have. It doesn't help that I don't have a job either. I guess I might be waiting until I have money for a good PSU.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
I'm not sure it will power all that, (7800 = power sucker) but my 450W ePower Puma II runs my system great, and it's got 28a on the 12v rail. It was $46.50 at NewEgg, they've got 500W+ PSUs for around $60.

• Rep+
Reactions: kevin_tsoi2000

·
15 Year Club
2,322 Posts
$42

Rosewill 450W dual 12V PSU: I have the same mobo and a 3200+, 2 HDDs, and an X800XL. Runs it fine, lots of cords.

get it at the egg. SLI? I don't know about that.... why waste money on SLI anyway?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
this is the cheapest I'd go
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104954
got one for my 2n'd rig... it's pretty good. 18a on each 12v rail

but you're much better off saving another 35 and getting a sunbeam nuuo. You don't want to use anything less w/ a 7800 series card. if you don't get a powerful psu you're going to have to choose
you can either oc or get a good gfx card... or neither, there are no guarantees w/ cheap psus.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't be running SLI because I have to use a mATX mobo, and when I really build a new rig, I'll just get a new PSU. For now, I just need something that will OC an opty 144 and eventually a 7800GT. Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'm comparing them now, and I'm open to any more.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2

this is the cheapest I'd go
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104954
got one for my 2n'd rig... it's pretty good. 18a on each 12v rail

but you're much better off saving another 35 and getting a sunbeam nuuo. You don't want to use anything less w/ a 7800 series card. if you don't get a powerful psu you're going to have to choose
you can either oc or get a good gfx card... or neither, there are no guarantees w/ cheap psus.

If you can't swing the couple extra bucks for the Sunbeam then the FSB above is probably your best bet...good solid PSU, decent rails, it would be nice if it was 500W or more just for longevity but 450W will do oyou just fine for some time given how your future upgrades sound like they will progress (meaning not too quickly).

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
This one seems to have good reveiws and has 23a on the 12v rail here.
It has 5 out of five eggs on newegg. But dont blame me if it blows.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking between the FSP and the rosewill now, the other one's are a bit out of my price range. Will the 1A and 2A off of the 12V really effect me that much? I'm going for a simple OC and eventually a 7800GT, and that's about the end of the upgrades.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
The FSP would be much better than the rosewill. I've never personally had a rosewill psu... but I haven't heard a whole lot of good about them. when it comes to psus I would not buy anything but a name brand. The cheapest psu I have ever purchased was a 500w Aspire, it had 35(I think)a on the 12v rail and It couldn't stand a couple 6600GT's and a slightly OC'd 3200+ w/ stock vcore.

The FSP psu is pretty nice. it is quiet, 12cm fan. it is not as heavy as a sunbeam nuuo or my seasonic s12 or an antec smartpower 350w.. but it is not bad for a 450w psu.
it has 2 SATA connectors, a pcie connector and a single floppy connector... and I think 6 molex connectors

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I'd stay away from them. spend the extra $15 and get that FSP I pointed out earlier. FSP is a much beter brand then either of those 2.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
I agree that the FSP group PSU is a good bet for what to buy. I have the 400W version which works great for my system. I don't use PCIe, but the possibility is there in case I ever get a budget upgrade consisting of a Athlon 64 and a 6800GS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts