Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thats it, i have no networking exp. i just want to connect two computers for file sharing, printer and dsl. gaming not necessary. i have the ethernet modem supplied by my isp and some cat5. what would be the cheapest way to do this? switch, router, hub. links to actual products would be nice. thanks all.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
wired adsl router. look on dlinks site - they're pretty good and cheap enough

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Iff you just want to transfer data and stuff then get a usb cord thingy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
you can pick up a switch on tigerdirect or newegg for $15-25 with 4 ports. perfect for a small home network

• Rep+
Reactions: Jazino

·
Registered
257 Posts
A switch like a hub will control a subnet or small group of computers and route messages between different computers, a router will route your internet connection to all the computers connected to it as well as act as a switch(usually NAT is used for routing). The primary difference between a switch and a hub is that a hub broad casts all packets to every computer on the network and thus making it far slower and creating a lot more collisions(also not very good as far as security is concerned). Example:

Switch:
Comp A sends Msg to Comp B:
Comp A -> Switch -> Comp B...

Hub:
Comp A sends Msg to Comp B:
Comp A -> Hub -> Comp B,C,D,E,F

All computers recieve the message and decide whether to ignore it or not, thats why hubs are slow and useless especially for gaming.Switches and Routers keep a ARP cache which means that they have a table in them which tells them what IP address belongs to which MAC address so they know exactly who to send the packets to.

Hope this info was helpful, even though its a bit stinted(im useless at explaining things...)

Edit:
Sorry didnt see the post above me...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very cool, anyone up for a game of find the cheapest router/switch and post the link?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not at all, your explanation is alot better than the one in that FAQ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazino

very cool, anyone up for a game of find the cheapest router/switch and post the link?

LOL it's great being able to get people to do things for you for reps, or even just a thanks, isn't it
HAHA.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Actually although Linksys look like they would suck they do not actually... I have Dlink and Linksys products at home at i find my linksys router better than my dlink one. Also an interesting fact is that Linksys are actually made by cisco because linksys is cisco's SOHO range of products and u cant get much better than cisco...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was using a Linksys RV042 VPN router for a while, and it was decent. The VPN feature never worked properly, and the DMZ port wasn't configurable in the traditional way (basically useless), but it was really fast and stable. I mostly had issues with all linksys wireless products dropping signal for no reason. Netgear stuff has always worked great, but the hardware dies after a few months. This is just my opinion based on my personal experience(s). Everyone likes their own stuff for their own reasons. Linksys has a very nice user interface, and is perfect for the novice home networking person.

I actually use a Checkpoint appliance at home, because I need VLAN capability and a VPN that actually works properly.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
just get a hub...somebody will probly give you one nowadays...LOL
My neighbor gave me one!!!!
Ooops...my bad!!!!

You can get a Belkin at Walmart for pretty cheap (router Wifi)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.