Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a thread the other day about looking into home theatre gear and came to the conclusion i was gonna go with a soundbar, but turns out i have no good place to mount it lol.

Back to drawing board here now. Ive been away from audio so long i dunno where to start.

I have a very simple setup i just wanna figure out if im planning this out right. I have a HTPC with a blu ray player that connects to my TV via HDMI, i also have a chromecast and a cable box. Would the best/cheapest upgrade to my sound be a receiver and a set of tower speakers? And would the best way to hook this up is keep everything same as i have now and then just run an optical/rca cable to receiver?

I found some really good speakers (i think) on craigslist for 100 bucks, please let me know what you think:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/ele/5569494119.html

From what i can gather these SEEM to be synergy sf-2 models which retailed for 650 bucks new.

There is also this sony set:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/5554618847.html

From the reviews these seem decent as well, and very cheap.

For receiver i have no clue really. This seems to be the best selling one on amazon for an entry level model:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-R-S201BL-2-Channel-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B00F0H88SY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1463446746&sr=8-4&keywords=hi+fi+stereo+receiver

What i dont understand about this is, why are there 4 speaker outputs when its a 2 channel receiver? It also does not have optical input, is RCA quality a lot lower than optical?

If you have any other suggestions on how to do this id much appreciate it. One more thing, would it be a problem programming my universal remote to control the volume of the receiver?

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other thing i am confused about, say i wanted to add a powered sub later on that isnt possible with the receiver i linked correct? I am still majorly confused as to why this has speakers outputs for 4 speakers but its called a 2 channel amp, does that mean i can connect 2 towers and a non-powered sub to this?

Sorry for the confusion i was into car audio around 15 years ago i dont ever remember being this derpy lol.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty99 View Post

One other thing i am confused about, say i wanted to add a powered sub later on that isnt possible with the receiver i linked correct? I am still majorly confused as to why this has speakers outputs for 4 speakers but its called a 2 channel amp, does that mean i can connect 2 towers and a non-powered sub to this?

Sorry for the confusion i was into car audio around 15 years ago i dont ever remember being this derpy lol.
You can connect two sets of stereo speakers for example if you wanted to listen (in stereo) in another room.

As for a subwoofer:

An unpowered sub could be connected to the second set of speaker outputs. but you would have to buy an external low pass crossover so that only the base frequencies were sent to the sub.

A powered sub usually can be connected to either a line level (preamp) output or a speaker output. Powered subs almost always have built in, adjustable crossovers.

Owner's Manual

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If you were just planning to listen to some music I'd say you were fine. But if you're planning to watch movies with the setup, you really should look into getting a 5.1 surround sound receiver. The most important thing when watching movies is the dialog, most of which runs through the center channel speaker. You'll still get dialog with the 2.0 but the dialog will be harder to hear. With the 5.1 receiver it'd give you the option to add center channel later if you can't afford it now.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post

If you were just planning to listen to some music I'd say you were fine. But if you're planning to watch movies with the setup, you really should look into getting a 5.1 surround sound receiver. The most important thing when watching movies is the dialog, most of which runs through the center channel speaker. You'll still get dialog with the 2.0 but the dialog will be harder to hear. With the 5.1 receiver it'd give you the option to add center channel later if you can't afford it now.
Hmm well dang lol. Saved me some money at least, i really dont wanna run satellites all over my room looks like back to the soundbar idea lol.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm not a fan of 5 speakers setups for the same reason so you could run a 3.0 (3 front speakers) setup. If that's too much for the space then the sound bar idea might be best. While majority of the audio people at OCN might say you're wasting you money, I'd try looking over at avsforum's soundbar subforum. There you should be able to find something that's not a waste of money and has decent sound quality.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post

Quote:

Hmm well dang lol. Saved me some money at least, i really dont wanna run satellites all over my room looks like back to the soundbar idea lol.
Very true, that being said, two full range speakers sounds pretty good to me for dialog - more so than just two satellites with sub (or soundbar) ... You just have to play around with your receivers different modes.

most inexpensive soundbars are only 2.1 anyway.

I'm using a 3D projector in my bedroom with 2.1 setup. The whole (audio) setup was under $200....

I have some Fluance SX6 bookshelf with Sony receiver and Yamaha sub (both of with came from thrift store). I'll watch GOT in there tonight vs the living-room where I have an older TV but true 5.1 sound.

Anyway, just my thoughts....

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya i wasn't sure on his comment either i just know i havent used a system with 2+1 as a movie watching experience. I also was kind of planning on buying used receiver there are just so many of them on craigslist and pawn shops, i could build a hi fi system for less than a good sound bar.

Anyone else wanna chime in? I would rarely play music on it, would be 95% tv/movie watching. Im just worried the highs would sound muddy with a 2.1 system.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:

Ya i wasn't sure on his comment either i just know i havent used a system with 2+1 as a movie watching experience. I also was kind of planning on buying used receiver there are just so many of them on craigslist and pawn shops, i could build a hi fi system for less than a good sound bar.
You see i can't really do a center channel because what i have is a motorized screen that drops down over thew closet. if i put a center there it would be in the way of the closet, and the screen goes all the way to the ceiling... maybe you just can't do or don't want a center, but back in the old days we enjoyed SVHS movies in the stereo
smile.gif

You really just want a sub, because makes it more movie-like experience
smile.gif

i ended up getting this one for $25 but I had to get a remote from ebay...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mf8XqFWcik4/p_158STDG520/Sony-STR-DG520.html

$6 for this guy

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/subwoofers/yst-sw160_black__u/

way better than a soundbar
smile.gif

craigslist and pawn shops thrift store all the way
smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts