Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by hexogenn
This one's nice..I wonder how it performs.
probly real good look at all that copper andon most hsf ive seen air is indirectly cooling the card . i think this ones a winner!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll wait for a few reviews of this"baby", to see what can it do with your vid card temps..

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Thats actually pretty smart on Zalman's side, taking a very sucessful CPU cooler, and turning it into a GPU cooler. If only ThermalRight made an XP120 (more of an XP-80) for the vid cards... that would dominate all... lol

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
They should make a copper XP120, or even a silver XP120... But yeah, t-right should make VGA coolers, they got chipset and cpu... time to move up!

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob
They should make a copper XP120, or even a silver XP120... But yeah, t-right should make VGA coolers, they got chipset and cpu... time to move up!
Nah, Aluminium would still be better since it gives off heat quicker then copper. If they made one, they could make it cover the whole board and 3 PCI slots below it. like have it over the core, raise it up a bit so theres still room for the RAM sinks, and then extend the HS over the whole card for 2x 80mm fans that can blow all over the card. Now wouldn't that be the *****? lol

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Copper is more conductive, but it's a lot more dense and heavier, not an ideal solution for a video card...especially those ATi cards that use two plastic push pins
It's one thing to say they should've made the XP-120 out of copper, but it's another to see that it performs just as well, and sometimes better than those copper giants while being made out of aluminum. I'd wager the engineers over at Thermalright know what they're doing

·
Registered
996 Posts
looks like it might be kinda heavy to hang on a vid card. has anyone ever had problems with weight hanging off a AGP slot before?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Copper is more conductive, but it's a lot more dense and heavier, not an ideal solution for a video card...especially those ATi cards that use two plastic push pins
It's one thing to say they should've made the XP-120 out of copper, but it's another to see that it performs just as well, and sometimes better than those copper giants while being made out of aluminum. I'd wager the engineers over at Thermalright know what they're doing

I don't think you would get performance as good with it all copper, thats unless you had a very high CFM fan since the copper holds in the heat more. Although it would be nice to have an all copper XP-120 (*hint, hint TR guys, lol) but the weight would really suck, 2Lbs maybe? lol.
Anywho, heres my interpratation of the XP-80x2 for the Video cards, lol.
I wanted to do a side view also, but I couldn't get a side view pic of a 9800PRO, then I could show what I really mean. But anywho, that would fit two 80mm fans.

And check this out, its a guide on how to mod an AMD heatsink onto a card.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob

Still, a silver heatsink would be awesome...

Ture, but who here wants to pay $400 for our heatsinks? I have seen silver plated copper water blocks before though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts