Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys.

i am wanting to setup a small profile for my little one.

my little one is only allowed to go to sertain websites and do sum things. i want her to be very limited and all.

can you please advice on how to set this up in windows 7 pls.

cheers

EDIT:

would you guys use windows live family safety?? being a MS product and all i am not to sure how safe it is....... what are your thoughts on this??

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
You can set up Parental Controls for the account which will allow you to restrict game usage, program access and time limits, but I would look into a third party monitoring/control program.

Some of these will allow you to create a whitelist of sites for her to access. You can do the same thing in IE using the content advisor, but that would affect all users.

Just google "best parental control software" and you'll see a bunch of options.

Hope this helps,

Rich

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know you can get very involed with a user setup with permissions and all...... but i am needing advice on this.

there are loads of software setups and all but what is the best one?? what is user friendly to set up and all.

i would prefer doing it through windows and not an addon extra of software to install

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Just create a standard account and limit it to what programs you want to run. Then use a firewall to limit access to all sites except the ones you pick. This should be able to be done at the user level, so only the user gets restricted and not the admin. Though you could just disable the windows firewall (it's not really as important as the damn popup tries to tell you) whenever you browse the net.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I might be wrong, but I believe the firewall settings are global.

The problem with the Windows Internet control options that I know of is that they are not specific enough. It's kind of an all-or-nothing that affects all users. The parental controls only take you so far, and the firewall settings are not very specific either.

When I set up restrictions on a PC for one of our locations, I use the content advisor and whitelist the sites they can visit. For our needs, this works very well, but if I am on the administrator account, I am restricted also.

As far as third party apps, the following are highly recommended:

K9 Web Protection
SafeEyes
CyberPatrol

If you don't want to use any aftermarket software there is one option I can suggest that I know will work. Set up the content advisor with a whitelist of sites she can visit, and when you log in, just disable it while you surf.

This won't be all-inclusive either, but it'll do a fair job. I have found some sites that can still be accessed with CA on, but there's not many. Of course, this won't prevent anyone from using a different browser.

It also depends on how old she is. If we're talking 5, then the above will probably work great. If she's older and like some of these kids I know, she probably can get past anything I could suggest.

Rich

Edit: I just saw your last post. I've never used the Windows Live Family Safety, but it looks like it might be what you want. I'm reading about it now...it looks like it's good for tracking activity, but I can't find anything about actually restricting access.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Hawaiian;14151091
I might be wrong, but I believe the firewall settings are global.

The problem with the Windows Internet control options that I know of is that they are not specific enough. It's kind of an all-or-nothing that affects all users. The parental controls only take you so far, and the firewall settings are not very specific either.

When I set up restrictions on a PC for one of our locations, I use the content advisor and whitelist the sites they can visit. For our needs, this works very well, but if I am on the administrator account, I am restricted also.

As far as third party apps, the following are highly recommended:

K9 Web Protection
SafeEyes
CyberPatrol

If you don't want to use any aftermarket software there is one option I can suggest that I know will work. Set up the content advisor with a whitelist of sites she can visit, and when you log in, just disable it while you surf.

This won't be all-inclusive either, but it'll do a fair job. I have found some sites that can still be accessed with CA on, but there's not many. Of course, this won't prevent anyone from using a different browser.

It also depends on how old she is. If we're talking 5, then the above will probably work great. If she's older and like some of these kids I know, she probably can get past anything I could suggest.
redface.gif

Rich
cheers dude

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you want "user friendly" above everything else, then go with the built-in parental controls and the Live pack.

Don't mess with Group Policy or the firewall, which if you want to get involved can achieve much finer control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.