Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm currently thinking about going for a separate radiator case so i can have about 720mm+ of radiator but I was thinking why not go chilled water or phase? The only problem is I don't know how any of it works. I was hoping to use the same blocks that I'm using now but wanted to know if I could drop my water temps a bit for 24/7 use. I'm looking for something that won't need insulation too.

What I have:
- Black Ice Pro Compact III
- EK Supreme HF
- EK GTX 470 Full Copper Block
- OCZ Hydropulse 700
- Swiftech Microres
- Three 3000 RPM Scythe Ultra Kaze (Push)
- Three Medium Speed Thin Yate Loons (Pull)
- Corsair Obsidian 700D

Edit
Just to clear things up and make things simple I just want something that will cool my water down. Whether it be a peltier cooler, phase, or whatever as long as I can run it 24/7 with no issues.

Edit 2
Does anyone have an estimate as to how much a water chiller would be for above 0C cooling. Looking for CPU/GPU temps as low as possible without having to insulate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Yeah actually it's a pretty easy mod to an AC system if you wanted to do it, or you can buy one that's made that way too.

Suppose it depends on what your specific demands are for noise and the amount of stuff you're going to use on it that determines your 'need' as far as how many watts it can work with.

The portable AC or window AC conversions can be done (if you're careful) without having to regass, but they're both really quite noisy systems. 24/7 they can do, but not quietly. If you've ever had a newer AC of either kind they almost always have a rotary compressor, and if you want quiet they're not. Very not.

Good news is that if you want something like 15c water consistent temps, a smaller reciprocating compressor could be used, and give you decent capacity and consistent sub ambient temps.

A thermostat can regulate the water temp to where you want it.

But it just depends on what you can spend, or if you can do it yourself. If it's something you haven't done and don't want to learn or buy all the gear, find someone local (ish) to make you one
Plenty of guys around for that.

Sdumper comes to mind as a guy closer to you.

Gray
 

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure how much these things usually run. Not really looking to spend too much. I'm trying to cool a GTX 470 and an i5 650 and maybe add another 470 in the future. I definitely would rather not try to do it myself cuz I have no idea how any of it works in the first place. I don't really care about noise considering I have three scythe Ultra Kaze running at 3000RPM 24/7 and i love them!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
biggrin.gif


Well better results always come from larger compressors, but if you're only looking for 'mild' results then it's not really needed.

The Cooler Express units that SD works on are actually pretty good for noise even though they're a larger compressor based system. Powerful Recriprocating, so not the rattle of a Rotary.

Should throw him a PM about it, see what one converted to a chiller would be.

Your other alternative is something like the Haleia (sp?) chillers. They're sold as aquarium chillers, but people use them for PC chillers too.

No idea what those cost either, but they can be a bit pricey brand new. Used, just depends where you buy and what they want.

Doing your own chiller from a window AC unit does work well but it can be a bit of work. I don't really blame you for not wanting to get into that
biggrin.gif


I build the coolers myself, but it just makes more sense to find someone closer.

Gray
 

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Mole;11924564
biggrin.gif


Well better results always come from larger compressors, but if you're only looking for 'mild' results then it's not really needed.

The Cooler Express units that SD works on are actually pretty good for noise even though they're a larger compressor based system. Powerful Recriprocating, so not the rattle of a Rotary.

Should throw him a PM about it, see what one converted to a chiller would be.

Your other alternative is something like the Haleia (sp?) chillers. They're sold as aquarium chillers, but people use them for PC chillers too.

No idea what those cost either, but they can be a bit pricey brand new. Used, just depends where you buy and what they want.

Doing your own chiller from a window AC unit does work well but it can be a bit of work. I don't really blame you for not wanting to get into that
biggrin.gif


I build the coolers myself, but it just makes more sense to find someone closer.

Gray
Yea the thing I noticed with the Cooler Express unit is that it comes with a block on the end so it would be a CPU only thing which is not what I want. Also are there any guides for switching an AC unit to a water chiller? I'll send him a PM to get a bit more information.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,955 Posts
Use an Aquarium chiller.
Thats what I did and I'm very happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Seen the aqua chillers on the 'bay under a hundred but they need a bit of TLC.

New, they run 500 and up, and the cheap ones are 1/12hp to 1/8hp.

Cost wise, the custom phase units work out cheaper for larger power/capacity units.

If you're buying new anyways.

If you're going the cheap aquarium chiller route, ebay and craiglist, just keep looking 'til you get lucky.

Oh, and any phase unit can be made as/into a chiller. Just lose the flex and head, and install a heat exchanger
smile.gif


Gray
 

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Mole;11943697
Seen the aqua chillers on the 'bay under a hundred but they need a bit of TLC.

New, they run 500 and up, and the cheap ones are 1/12hp to 1/8hp.

Cost wise, the custom phase units work out cheaper for larger power/capacity units.

If you're buying new anyways.

If you're going the cheap aquarium chiller route, ebay and craiglist, just keep looking 'til you get lucky.

Oh, and any phase unit can be made as/into a chiller. Just lose the flex and head, and install a heat exchanger
smile.gif


Gray
Dam I just looked at Craigslist and the only water chiller I could find in my area is $300 OBO for a 1/10HP JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller. Do you know how much it would cost to make a custom one? From the looks of it I shouldn't need a very powerful one since I'm not going sub zero.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
A 1/10 'might' work, just depends how much load you'll stick on it. Sure would be nice to have a bit more power though.

The rating is based on Ashrae most of the time, which is at -23c. Any specs on it's max actual load for that particular unit? From memory, that kind of unit normally runs something like 200 to 400w of capacity.

The Haleia 1000 unit is 1650w, which is overkill, but if you have a ton of blocks on at full load, you can get pretty high. Tri SLI, cpu and mobo blocks can run 1200+w maxed right out.

Nice to have at least 1000w+ on a chiller, whether it's low temp or just under ambient.

Personally I'd kind of estimate a chiller unit that's custom to run 500 or so, but usually it's the same as a 800+ aquarium chiller unit.

I did see one on the 'bay for around 50 bucks plus shipping, but the pump system was shot on it. Easy enough to mod, but if it's more involved you're out of luck. Part of what makes buying a 'might be working' unit tricky.

I did up a thread on XS on converting a portable AC unit into a chiller and there's a few others there too. Might be worth a look.

Don't see one here though.

Got to be really careful, but the Danby portable AC units can be done without degassing, just need to be pretty gentle with the bending. Without the panels, you can get at the top evaporator and bend it horizontal. Room to work a plastic tray under it, and you can use the controller on that one to run the water temp pretty easy. AC's run in the right range of temp you want, and have huge capacity. Just means finding a cheapish unit. 50 to 100 bucks and some work and you've got a chiller that'll run 1500 to 3500w.

Window units can do it too, but the portables are way easier to mod clean.

I should repost the 'AC chiller Mod' thread here.

Gray
 

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Mole;11944526
A 1/10 'might' work, just depends how much load you'll stick on it. Sure would be nice to have a bit more power though.

The rating is based on Ashrae most of the time, which is at -23c. Any specs on it's max actual load for that particular unit? From memory, that kind of unit normally runs something like 200 to 400w of capacity.

The Haleia 1000 unit is 1650w, which is overkill, but if you have a ton of blocks on at full load, you can get pretty high. Tri SLI, cpu and mobo blocks can run 1200+w maxed right out.

Nice to have at least 1000w+ on a chiller, whether it's low temp or just under ambient.

Personally I'd kind of estimate a chiller unit that's custom to run 500 or so, but usually it's the same as a 800+ aquarium chiller unit.

I did see one on the 'bay for around 50 bucks plus shipping, but the pump system was shot on it. Easy enough to mod, but if it's more involved you're out of luck. Part of what makes buying a 'might be working' unit tricky.

I did up a thread on XS on converting a portable AC unit into a chiller and there's a few others there too. Might be worth a look.

Don't see one here though.

Got to be really careful, but the Danby portable AC units can be done without degassing, just need to be pretty gentle with the bending. Without the panels, you can get at the top evaporator and bend it horizontal. Room to work a plastic tray under it, and you can use the controller on that one to run the water temp pretty easy. AC's run in the right range of temp you want, and have huge capacity. Just means finding a cheapish unit. 50 to 100 bucks and some work and you've got a chiller that'll run 1500 to 3500w.

Window units can do it too, but the portables are way easier to mod clean.

I should repost the 'AC chiller Mod' thread here.

Gray
All it said was that it cooled 1270BTU/Hour but that's about it. $500 is a bit too much for me :/ And yes I planned on having a CPU plus at least one 470 in the loop. I was thinking about adding another 470 when I got the money. I think i might just have to go with my original idea of filling a 2nd case with radiators :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Just posted the 'cheap chiller mod' thread here too.

Have a look. I know it's a bit strange looking, but if you do it 'just right' and find something for a water res that can fit the evap, you can get the basic panels and control system back on and it'll look like a portable AC again
biggrin.gif


Something to consider, I see Portable AC units go for 50 bucks all the time in the winter and they rock for chillers
biggrin.gif


Gray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Lolz

I try to push phase on everyone. Whether you buy it premade or make it yourself, I think everyone should have a refrigerated cooler.

I like the cold
biggrin.gif
 

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Mole;11944830
Lolz

I try to push phase on everyone. Whether you buy it premade or make it yourself, I think everyone should have a refrigerated cooler.

I like the cold
biggrin.gif
I want a 24/7 overclock of near 5ghz
biggrin.gif
Not to mention a hard modded GTX 470 with 1.4v!! For that I need cooler water so either a second case full of radiators and Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM fans or this.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top