Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for new outlooks for chilling my cpu to subzero idle and 15-25 under load without spending 400-700 on a pelt or phase change.

Heres my idea:

Make a 225-300W pelt and stick it in a homemade plexi tank. This is then pumped from a seperate case through normal wc tubes to the CPU and maybe RAM cards. Then back to the tank to be re-cooled and recycled.

Then there is another 225-300W pelt in another homemade tank in the same seperate case as the other one. This is then pumped in wc tubes to the NB/SB, and GPU's.

The coolant will be a mixture of pure water and anti freeze, roughly a 40% mixture.

As for the ever so bugging problem of condensation, the actual case of the computer will be custom built as well. The mother board will, in this custom case, be submerged in a Mineral Oil mixture. Because water (condensation) is denser than (or less dense, I get the two mixed up), then it will float to the top of the Mineral Oil mixture never actually touching the motherboard or any other electrical components. And being at the top of the Mineral oil mixture any excess water produced shouldn't be alot but should evaporate by the heat produced by the Mineral oil itself.

As for the power consuption, the seperate case will feed the chilled water but the power will be supplied entirely by its own PSU. With temperature controls to control the voltages of the pelts, as well as extra fans in the case to keep the water chilled.

There could also be the option of adding a TEC to the cpu along with the chilled water should theoretically keep a pretty easy sub zero.

Please, if there are any flaws in this design, which im pretty sure there will be, post them here so I can correct them.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
About 3 gallons. You could use baby oil. It's essentially Mineral Oil + Fragrance. Just realize it's really messy and hard as heck to clean up. So don't plan on taking it out any time soon. PITA.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't planning on takeing it out, just adding more once evaporation kicks in. But so far I haven't heard anything negative. Does this mean that's this set up could essentially work?

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Essentially yes. It could work. But the problem is, oil is more dense than water, so actually your condensation would sink. Not float, which could cause a problem.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
You'd really need to update that GPU if you did go through with it. It's a wasted idea if you didn't.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i have heard the oil can soak into the PCB and cause problems over time. not really sure how long this would take, or how serious it could be, so id test with cheap hardware first before dunking a expensive mobo/cpu/gpu/ram into oil for long term...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
Essentially yes. It could work. But the problem is, oil is more dense than water, so actually your condensation would sink. Not float, which could cause a problem.
...knew there was going to be something wrong.
Only idea I can think of straight up is having the mother board turned upside down. Thus condensation sinks and evaporates or disperses in the bottom.
Or the container for the mother board will have to be cycled to another tank. Something small inside the case, where water collects on the bottom and a pump on the top pushes fresh oil back into the mother board chamber.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Quote:

If the oil is more dense, then the water will float to the top.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
You'd really need to update that GPU if you did go through with it. It's a wasted idea if you didn't.
Gpu's don't have to be submerged, actually now that I think. Nothing has to be submerged. If the mb is upside down then water drips down. And can be collected in a small amount of mineral water. This could prevet pcb problems as well as gpu long term oil problems.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fooxz View Post
i have heard the oil can soak into the PCB and cause problems over time. not really sure how long this would take, or how serious it could be, so id test with cheap hardware first before dunking a expensive mobo/cpu/gpu/ram into oil for long term...
Never heard anyone complain about anything like that from an Mineral Oil cooled computer.

Here is Puget Systems using a old MoBo to test then throwing relatively new hardware in there. Don't see it doing any harm. Why? Because mineral oil is non-conductive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intresting Enough View Post
...knew there was going to be something wrong.
Only idea I can think of straight up is having the mother board turned upside down. Thus condensation sinks and evaporates or disperses in the bottom.
Or the container for the mother board will have to be cycled to another tank. Something small inside the case, where water collects on the bottom and a pump on the top pushes fresh oil back into the mother board chamber.
Yeah. Sorry, I forgot to mention it above. I don't know exactly how you'd manage to get rid of the water that would form. Now that's a bit tricky.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
If the oil is more dense, then the water will float to the top.
My bad. Correction. Water is more dense. Water sinks. Oil floats. Example, reason why in the BP spill oil rose to the surface.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Never heard anyone complain about anything like that from an Mineral Oil cooled computer.

*snip*

Here is Puget Systems using a old MoBo to test then throwing relatively new hardware in there. Don't see it doing any harm. Why? Because mineral oil is non-conductive.
I dont know where i heard it/read it, but its possible over time for oil to soak in, not saying it will happen fast, but unless the PCB is sealed, it kinda makes sense, but who knows, maybe im wrong, but id rather warn the op then see him dunk hardware in oil for long term and see it die in a couple months because he didnt make sure it wouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I said for the water. If it collect at the bottom of the first tray then a simple mini funnel at the bottom feeding into another tiny tank will collect water as well as a little oil. Since the water stay at the bottom the is no worry of touching anything. On the mini tank is fill with water and oil, water will still accumalate because it sinks and it will take up place of the oil eventually filling the mini tank, but this could at least a month.
Then with a simple release valve remove the mini tank and empty the water and replace.
It's actually a pretty good idea

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
You can also use vegetable oil instead of mineral oil

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
You can NOT get condensation if the board is submerged in oil, unless the oil itself is below dew point, which isn't theoretically possible without a LOT of cooling power. Tell me how water can condense on something submerged in oil, because I think condensation is the water from the air collecting on a cool surface. If it is under oil, it doesn't make contact with the water vapor obviously.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonSlice View Post
You can NOT get condensation if the board is submerged in oil, unless the oil itself is below dew point, which isn't theoretically possible without a LOT of cooling power. Tell me how water can condense on something submerged in oil, because I think condensation is the water from the air collecting on a cool surface. If it is under oil, it doesn't make contact with the water vapor obviously.
****ing brilliant. I totally forgot about this. +1 internets for you

1 - 20 of 39 Posts